Slideshow
Welcome! This website was created on Mar 28 2007 and last updated on Mar 20 2019. The family trees on this site contain 711 relatives and 135 photos. If you have any questions or comments you may send a message to the Administrator of this site.

Security

Enter Access Code to view private data:
Access Code

About Deanna's Taylor, Deckard, McBride, Lewis, Quackenbush Family Tree's
Please sign in to see more.
"Taylor"

"The name Taylor in Ireland was introduced into the Country by Settlers from 
England and Scotland as early as the fourteenth Century. The majority of 
descendents bearing this name can still be found in the initial Settlement 
area of the Province of Ulster. The Penninton Castle, in Cumberland County, 
England, is where some of my Ancestors were born. 

  One of the first records of the family name TAYLOR was found in Kent, 
which is located in Scotland. The TAYLOR family traces their 
ancestral roots back to Norman origin before the year 1100. From here 
they branched and migrated, gaining prosperity as a notable family 
of Scotland and later other countries. 

The TAYLOR family is distinguished as a Clan in it's own right 
with a extensive history. In ye old days a family could not qualify 
for Clan Status unless they had the proven ability to put 250 armed 
men ahorse within one hour to defend their clan, lands and properites. 
As well as providing a fighting men for their leige lord and king.

The Taylor family held Castles, Estates and Manors that you can 
still find in England. Branches formed throughout Europe, North 
America, and Australia.

The English suname Taylor is classified as being occupational in 
origin. It can be said that the most ancient and interesting of 
surnames are those derived from the occupation of the original bearer. 
Occupational names have provided what has been described by Scholars 
as "an inventory of the common trades of medieval Europe". Such 
names offer a glimpse into the daily lives of our ancestors. With 
regard to the surname Taylor, it is ultimately derived from the Anglo 
Norman French word "taillour", from the Old French" tailleor, tailleur", 
denoting a cutter of cloth, a tailor". Variants of this surname 
include Tayler, Tailer and tailyour. Records of this surname in 
England date back to the eleventh century when one Walter Taylur 
appears in the Archaeologia Cantiana of 1180. In 1182 one William 
Le Taillur is listed in the Pipe Rolls of Somerset and John Le 
Talliur is mentioned in the Assize Rolls of Lincolnshire in 1202. 
In 1273 the Hundred Rolls contain references to Henry Le Taluir of 
Co. Norfolk, Cecil Le Tayllour of Cambridgeshire, Roger Le Taylur 
of Lincolnshire and Richard Le Taylor of Northhamptonshire. Notable 
bearers of this surname include Brook Taylor {1685-1731}, the English 
mathematician and Ann Taylor {1782-1866} and her sister Jane {1783-
1823}, English writers of children verses. This suname was intro-
duced to the United States at an early date. The "Passenger and 
Immigration Lists Index" record that one Mrs. Taylor arrived in 
Virginia in 1623 and arrival of one Abraham Taylor is recorded in the same 
state in 1654."

               "Records taken from the "Von Quackenbosch Bible"

The Quackenbush family came from Holland, the name in Holland was Von 
Quakkenbosch. The American name is Quackenbush. It is spelled several 
different ways. The family was of Royal Decent and had a coat of arms. On the 
scroll it was written "VREDE IN RYKDOM" interpreted "PEACE IN WEALTH". 
  Pieter Quackenbosch, Born: 1614, Holland, was the founder of the Quackenbush 
family in America, was a brick maker in Albany, New York. Although early 
records of Albany contain several references to him as Pieter Quackenbosch, he 
is also frquently found undr the name of Pieter Bont, and and sonetimes as 
Pieter (or Piet) Bout. The use of a second suname, or alias, was commonly 
found among the early Dutch settlers of New Netherland, as well as the 
frequent use of the Patronymic.

Pieter Quackenbosch probably left Holland for New Netherland in May of 1653 
aboard the ship GRAFT. The following letter from Edward Man and A. Pater, 
Directors of the West Indies Company, to Pieter Stuyvesant tell of the 
passengers on this ship:

"A" 1653, the 7th of May.
Honorable, Vigorous, Pious,
Dear and Faithful.

In the ship 'Graft' goes over Mr. Johan De Hulter, partner in the Colony of 
Renselaerswyck, and his family who takes with hime a goodly number of free 
people, among them soe artisans, especially a bery good brickmaker, and many 
other mentioned in detail in the list, to settle either in said Colony, or 
elsewhere and assist in the cultibation of the soil there. As it is not yet 
quite decidedm where he may begin and as he may settle on Manhattans Island, 
where we believe it would be best, we have deemed it proper and just upon his 
request for a recommendation, because not known there, to direst you to favor 
him as far as possible without prejudice to the Company's interests and kindly 
assist him in everything; and if he should conclude to remain upon Manhattans 
or Long Island to allot for him so suitable a place, as his circumstances and 
the fitness of it for a brickyard require. Hereupon relying etc. etc.

Amsterdam
the 7th of May 1653
To Directeur Stuyvesant in New Netherland.

THE DIRECTORS OF THE W.I. COMPANY
EDWARD MAN.
A. PATER.

  Assumming this brick maker was Pieter Quackenbosch, he most likely did not 
settle in New York City but instead accompanied Johan de Hulter to Albany, 
then known as Beverwyck. The first mention of Pieter Quackenbosch in the 
Albany records occurs the following year, 1 December 1654, in the court 
minutes of Fort Orange and Beverwyck, where it stated that "Jan Gouw cut Piet 
Bout across the hand," evidently in the course of a fight.

Johan de Hulter established various businesses in Albany, including a brick 
kiln and a tile kiln, but died just several uears after his arrival. De Hulter 
probably put Pieter Quackenbosch in charge of the operation of the brick kiln, 
as evidenced by the following excerpt from the Fort Orange and Beverwyck court 
records of 29 May 1657:

"Pieter Bont, Plaintiff, against Pieter Boxboom, defendant.

The plaintiff says that the defendant is bound to burn brick for him for the 
period of ten months, exhibiting a contract made between Mr t'Hulter, 
deceased, and the defend.

The defendant on the other hand produces an absolute release from Madam 
Johanna, Widow of the said Mr De Hulter, deceased.

The court, having examined the contract and the release, adjudge that the 
defendant is released from his contract by virtue of the release."

Pieter is first mentioned as "Pieter Quackenbosch" in the court minutes of 
Fort Orange and Beverwyck on 20 August 1657, again as a plaintiff agains 
Pieter Bosboom. Still another complaint was filed against Bosboom on 8 Febuary 
1658, this time by "Pieter Bout's wife."

n 7 November 1657, Johanna de Hulter announced her intention to sell at public 
auction her brick kiln, tile kiln, house, barn, pasture and other pieces of 
property apparently left to her by ber husband. The brick kiln was sold to the 
highest bidder, Adrian Jansen Van Ilpendam, for the sum of 1,100 guilders. At 
the same time, At the same time, Madame de Hulter also sold "at public sale, 
the house where Piet Bout dwills" to Aernoldus Van Curler for the sum of 740 
guilders.

Pieter Quackenbosch probably continued to operate the brickyard for a number 
of years, despite its sale to Adriaen Ban Ilpendam. In 1668, Pieter purchased 
the brickyard from Van Ilpendam, as shown by the following deed:

"Appeared before us, undersigned, commissaried of Albany, etc., Adriaen Van 
Ilpendam, who declares that in true rights, free ownership, he grants, conveys 
and makes over to Pieter Quackenbos in the brickyard according to the fence 
thereabout set, lying here in the colony and by said Pieter Quackenbos 
occupied according to the right and ownership of the ground which he bought 
and paid for, of madame, the widow of the late Johan de Hulter, now wife of 
Jeronimus Ebbinck, according to release, of date the 20th of August 1664, on 
condition that said Quackenbos pay yearly a rent of two Carolus guilders to 
the Heer director of the colony according to the tenor of the contract 
therefor, of date the 11th of November 1657, to which reference is herein 
made; and therefore giving said Quackenbos, his heirs and successors or 
assigns, full power to dispose thereof as he might do with his patrimonial 
effects; also acknowledging that he is fully paid and satisfied therefor and 
therefore promising to protect and free the same from all trouble and claims 
as is right, and never more to do now suffer anything to be done against the 
same, in any manner, on pledge of this person and estate, nothing excepted, 
subject to all laws and judges.
Done in Albany the 21st July 1668.
ADRIAEN VAN ILPENDAM"

Pieter Quackenbosch's wife, Maritje Ariens (Dochter), was also closely 
involved in the operation of the brickyard, as shown by her frequent 
appearance in the Albany court records in matters dealing wth its operation. 
The following Albany court record from the year 1684 illustrates her heavy 
involvement in the brick business:

The plaintiff's wife on behalf of her husband demands according to settlement 
of accounts 7 1/2 beavers for bfick delivered.

The defendant claims that she did not deliver the brick according to the 
agreement, having delivered soft brick among the gable brick. Also that he had 
to wait for brick, to his great loss, for which he demands damages.

The oath being deferred to the plaintiff;'s wife, she swears that according to 
the last settlement of accounts there was due to her 7 1/2 beavers.

The honorable court condemn the defendant to pay the plaintiff the sum of 7 
1/2 beavers demanded, cum expensis." [This court record contradicts the 
assumption in the 1909 genealogy of the family that it was Maritje who died in 
1682 when Pieter paid for the use of the large funeral pall.]

In 1683, "pr Quackebos" pledged two "pieces of 8" toward the annual salary of 
the Dominie [Minister] Godefridus Dellius. Immediately following Pieter's name 
are listed the names of Wouter Pieterse, Jan Pieterse and Reynier Pieterse, no 
doubt Pieter's three sons, shown using the patronymic. According to this 
record in the court minutes of Albany, they all lived "outside the North gate, 
up the river."

The fact that Pieter Quackenbosch and Pieter Bont were the same person is 
proven several years later when Pieter traded his house and pantile shed for a 
house in the city of Albany:

"Know all men whom it may concern that on the fourth day of the month of 
January 1686/1687, appeared before me, Jan Becker, notary public, Pieter 
Quackenbosch, residing near the city of Albany, in the colony of 
Renselaarswyck, of the one part, and Jacob van Vorst, residing in the city of 
Albany, of the other part, who declared that they had deliberately and 
amicably agreed about a matter of purchase and exchange, as follows. The 
aforesaid Quackenbosch declares that he has sold to and exchanged with the 
aforesaid van Vorst his house, pantile shed and land, as far as it belongs to 
him and is occupied and possessed by him, saving the lord's right (except a 
certain small parcel of land which belongs to Mr. Jan Hendryck Bruyn), and all 
that is fastened thereto by earth and nail nothing in the world excepted, but 
the burnt brick which at present are in the kiln shall belong to Quackenbosch. 
The aforesaid buildings and land stand and are situated in the colony of 
Renselaarswyck and are at present occupied by him; they will be delivered to 
the purchaser on the conditions hereinbefore written buring the ensuing month 
of March anno 1686/1687, provided and upon the express condition that the 
aforesaid van Vorst shall then also deliver to the grantor his unincumbered, 
saving the lord's right, with all that is fastened thereto by earth and nail, 
nothing in the world excepted, and in addition thereto twenty beavers or the 
falue theof in silver money; and they promise to deliver to each other a 
proper deed and to free each other from further claims, all without guile or 
deceit, for which they bind their respective persons and properties, present 
and future, without any exception, subjecting the same according to law. In 
witness of the truth they have signed and sealed this at the house of the 
aforesaid Quackenbosch, situated in the colony of Renselaarswyck, on the date 
above written, being in the second year of riegn of his Royal Majesty of Great 
Britain.

Pieter Bont
otherwise called Quackenbosch------------[seal]
This is X the mark of Jacob van Vorst------[seal]"

In 1669 and again in 1680, in court cases involving the operation of the brick 
kiln, a Pieter Quackenbosch is mentioned using patronymic, first as "Piter 
Piterse Quackenbos" and later as "Pieter Pieterse Quackeboss." Several family 
researchers in the past have assumed this Pieter was a son of Pieter the 
Immigrant. This researcher fails to find any evidence in the early New York 
records that Pieter the Immigrant had a son named Pieter, raising the 
possibility that this reference was to Pieter the Immigrant himself. If so, 
Pieter the Immigrant's father was also named Pieter Quackenbosch (or Pieter 
Bont).

Adriana Suydam Quackenbush, in her 1909 genealogy of the family, identifies 
the Immigrant Pieter Quackenbosch with the student Petrus Quackenbosh at the 
University of Groningen in 1695. This connecton, however, was made prior to 
the discovery that Pieter Quackenbosch also used the name of Pieter Bont and 
was in the New World as early as 1654.

The children assigned to Pieter the Immigrant in this genealogy vary womewhat 
from the children assigned to Pieter in the 1909 genealogy of the family. The 
primary reason for these differences also derives from thediscovery that 
Pieter the Immigrant was in New Netherland as early as 1654. We also know from 
the 1674 marriage record of Pieter's son Reynier that Reynier was born in 
Holland. An analysis of the families of the other children of Pieter the 
Immigrant suggests that Reynier was probably among the younger children of the 
family and therefore several of Pieter the Immigrant's children were probably 
vorn in Holland. Assuming that a child was born to Pieter and Maritje every 
few years, it is possible that they were married as early as 1640. Dutch men 
of that period married, on the average, at about the age of 26 and women at 
about the age of 23. Applying these averages to a marriage date of about 1640 
implies that Pieter was born about 1614 and Maritje about 1617.

The birthdate for Maritje, wife of Pieter the Immigrant, of about 1617 means 
that she was approaching the end of her childbearing years by the mid 1660's. 
It is unlikely, therfore, that she was the mother of the sons Pieter and 
Adriaan listed in the 1909 genealogy of the family. It is far more likely that 
Pieter and Adriaan were her grandsons through her son Jan.

The naming of the children of Pieter and Adriaan (as well as the sponsors at 
the children's baptisms) also suggest that Pieter and adriaan were sons of Jan 
and Machteld (Post) Quackenbosch rather than of Pieter the Immigrant and his 
wife Maritje. Just as the patronymic system governed the use of second names 
in the early Dutch families, a similar system determined the first names of 
the children born to a Dutch family. Under this system, the first-born son was 
given the first name of the child's paternal grandfather. The second son was 
given the first name of the maternal grandfather. For the daughters, this 
pattern was reversed: the first-born daughter was given the name of the 
child's maternal grandmather and the second daughter the name of the paternal 
granmother. Under this system, successive children were given the names of 
their great grandparents. This naming sustem was reinforced by the Dutch 
Reformed Church, where the person whose name was given to the child usually 
served as the baptism sponsor. If this person could not be present at the 
baptism, a close relative was usualyy substituted.

It should also be noted that the three sons of Pieter the Immigrant as shown 
in this history of the famly reflect the age-old tradition of "three brothers 
who came from Holland" that is found in many early sources, including Jonathan 
Pearson's Contributions for the Genealogies of the First Settlers of the 
Ancient County of Albany, rom 1630 to 1800 (1872).

REF: QFH&A, pp. 7-24; DSSAY, XXXIV-XXXV, p. 23; Documents Relative to the 
Colonial History of New York, E. B. O'Callaghan, 14:202; Minutes of the Court 
of Ft. Orange and Beverwyck, trans. A. J. F. van Laer, 1:191, 1:271, 2:38, 
2:69, and 2:99; Minutes of the Court of Albany, Rensselaerswyck and 
Schenectady, trans. A. J. F. van Laer, 1:77, 3:46m 3:373 and 3:378; Early 
Records of the City and County of Albany, and Colony of Rensselaerswyck, 1656-
1675, Jonathan Pearson, 1869, 1:56-59 and 1:446; De Halve Maen, 45:9.
  
                                 "McBride"

  "The Irish Mcbride is of patronymic origin, deriving from the first name of 
a father. In this instance, the name derives from the Old Gaelic name "Mac 
Giolla Brighde", which means, literally, "the son of a follower of St. 
Brigid". Brigid was the name of a celebrated Irish saint (452-525) who founded 
a convent and was renowned for her work in helping the poor. During medieval 
times surnames were beginning to enjoy considerable vogue, and hereditary 
family names were becoming common.

The first recorded instance of the surname Mc Bride occurs in medieval 
document which chronicles famous erenaghs of the Middle Ages. Erenaghs were 
Lay Lords whose families held this office and church property from generation 
to generation. In some cases, all instances of church establishment had 
disappeared, and the Erenaghs had become powerful rulers. The Mc Brides are 
listed as being the Erenaghs of Raymunterdoney in County Donegal. By the 17th 
Century they had settled at Gweedore in the same County.

Several of the sept became Bishops of Raphoe, the most distinguished of whom 
was John Mc Gilbride (d. 1440). A branch of the sept was established in County 
Down and in the 1659 census Mc Bride appears as a principal Irish name in 
three different Baronies of that county. A notable modern day bearer of the 
surname is Sean MacBride (b. 1904), a Nobel prizewinner for Peace and former 
Minister for External Affairs. He is the son of the late Major John Mac Bride 
(1865-1916), executed after the 1916 Rising, and Maud Bonne Mac Bride (1865-
1953), who was one of the most picturesque figures in the modern Irish 
Political scene.

"History of Scotland"

The Scottish McBride is an anglicized form of the Gaelic surname Mac Bridhde, 
earlier Mac GilleBridhe, This name is derived from the Gaelic "giolla" 
meaning "devotee or servant of Bride." This name was made popular by followers 
of St. Bride of Kildare, 452-525 A. D. The Mac Brides of Moray and Bute in the 
fourteenth century were a sept of the Clan MacDonald of the Isles, greatest 
and most widespread of all Clans, Clan Donald, descendants of Somerled, the 
thane of Argyll, who became an independent kin of the "South Isles". In 1135 
he helped King David I of Scotland to expel the Norse form Arran and Bute, and 
eventually fell at Refrew in 1164, when he himself was invading against King 
Malcolm IV. Variants of the surname McBride include McBryde and McBraid.

References to the surname McBride or to its variants are found in Scottish 
documents that date back to the 14th Century. Cristinus McBryd, a man of 
Thomas De Moravia, had remission of a fine in 1329. John Mc Gilbride was 
Captain of Bute from 1370 to 1375. Mac bride is an old name in Arran. In 1684 
the name appeared as Mc Bryd, McBrid and Mc Kbrid. The form Macilbride was 
much used in olden time in the Lordship of Doune. The McBraid family was 
listed among the British Nobility. Listed among ships passengers bound for New 
York in the mid 19th Century were Samuel McBride, Sarah McBride, Sophia 
McBride, Stephen McBride, Susan McBride, and Thomas Mc Bride, all of whom 
departed Liverpool in 1851.

The Mc Brides' Celtic heritage, goes back into antiquity, beyond the 6th 
Century AD, to the great clans in what today is Ireland, Conn of the 100 
Battles, Cairfre Raida, founder of Dal Raida in Antrim, Eire, and Colla 
Uathais. Our Viking heritage goes back to Ingiald "Ill-Ruler" and Olaf "Tree-
Hewer" in 7th Century Sweden and Norway. All of these traditional blood lines 
came together in the 12th Century Somerled Mac Gillebride Mac Gilladamnan.

Mac Bride in Scotland, though the majority of Irish Mac Brides are Catholics 
four prominent Ulster Protestants of the name are noteworthy, all being of the 
same family: David Mac Bride (1726-1778), physician and inventor; John Mac 
Bride (1730-1800), Admiral in the British navy; Rev. John Mac Bride (1650-
1718), Presbyterian author; and John David Mac Bride (1778-1868), scholar and 
head of Magdalen College, Oxford. The miniaturist Alexander Mac Bride (1798-
1852), was born in Co. Monaghan.

The form 'Magee' reflects the pronunciation of Ulster and Scottish Gaelic, 
with 'Mag-' most common in the east of the province, and 'Mac-' in the west; 

O'Mulbride-Mac Bride, coming from the Irish O'Maoilbrighde, is found as a 
chief in the barony of Athlone in Co. Roscommon, east of the River Suck. 
Mulbride has been given as a variant of McBride in Keatings History, and no 
doubt there has been some interchanging of the name early in history. 

Kilbride [Mac Kil Bride] is the form of the name in the province of Connaugh 
and the name is also found as Gilbride at times in Ireland."

                                    Deckard

  History of Alsace
843 After the Treaty of Verdun, 
Charlemagne's properties were split: the area now 
known as France went to Charles the Bold, 
the Rhine territory went to Louis the German; the 
"Middle Kingdom" including Alsace and Lorraine 
went to the Emperor Lothaire

870 After the Treaty of Meersen, 
Alsace went to Louis the German 

1469 After the Treaty of St. Omer, 
Upper Alsace went to Charles of Burgundy
(ruler of Netherlands and Burgundy), Charles 
was a French, but became the "landlord," taxes went 
to the German Emperor of Lower Alsace 
(Note: upper and lower refer to terrain as it descends 
to sea level, thus lower refers to the north)

1477 Land in Upper Alsace went to Habsburgs

1639 Most of Alsace taken by France during the 
Thirty Years' War; some communities were still under 
German sovereignty

1648 After the Treaty of Westphalia, 
most of Alsace went to France; some cities remained 
independent with loyalties unclear 

1679 After the Treaty of Nimwegen, 
cities brought under France

1697 After the Treaty of Ryswick, 
Louis XIV of France was in possession of most
of Alsace and Strasbourg, some estates were still 
possessed by German nobles

~First~ "Swabian" Migration under Habsburg 
King Charles VI 1718-1737

~Second~ "Swabian" Migration under Habsburg 
Queen Maria Theresa 1740-1772

~Third~ "Swabian" Migration under Habsburg 
King Joseph V 178-1790

1795 After the Act of the Assembly of France, 
feudalism was abolished and France gained greater control

1871 After the Treaty of Frankfort, 
Alsace was ceded to the German Empire. 

Alsace remained part of the German Empire 
until 1918, when it was awarded to France after 
World War I.


  
   

History of Lorraine
843 After the Treaty of Verdun, Charlemagne's 
Empire was split, the "Middle Kingdom" including 
Lorraine was allotted to the Emperor Lothaire.

870 After the Treaty of Meersen, 
the "Middle Kingdom" was divided, the majority of the 
territory of Lorraine came under West Frankish sovereignty, 
the remaining areas passed back and forth between Frankish 
and German kings.

951 Duchy of Lower Lorraine went to Netherlands and 
lost the name of Lorraine; Duchy of Upper Lorraine 
retained its name, was largely independent with some 
cities being vassals of France, some unimportant towns 
were vassals of the German Empire.

1473 After the Treaty of Nancy, 
Charles of Burgundy became the "protector" of Lorraine,
aligned with France; the Bishops of Toul, Metz and Verdun 
were ecclesiastical princes of the Holy Roman Empire.

1476 Upon the death of Charles of Burgundy, 
Lorraine became and independent Duch under Duke Renee, 
aligned to France with some cities subordinate to 
the Duchy.

1542 After the Convention of Nuremburg, 
Duke Anthony (heir to Renee) confirmed the independence 
of Lorraine, refused to submit to the German Emperor; 
Anthony's brothers were French, his daughter-in-law 
was a niece of the Emperor

1546 Duch placed under French Bishops's guardianship 
due to the death of Anthony's heir, leaving a widow 
who was related to the Hapsburgs and a young son; Metz,
Toul and Verdun came under the French bishopric in 1552.

1632 During the Thirty Years' War, Duke Charles IV 
was forced to cede much of Lorraine (except Nancy) to 
French King Louis XIII.

1646 The Treaty of Westphalia after the 
Thirty Years' War confirmed France in possession of Metz, 
Toul and Verdun, other sections of Lorraine not specified.

1659 After the Treaty of the Pyrenees, 
land was restored to Charles IV, but with diminished power.

1679 After the Treaty of Nimwegen, 
Louis XIV of France demanded terms in exchange for 
recognizing Charles V as Duke of Lorraine; Louis began 
incorporating ten cities into France and assuming control 
of Lorraine; Duke Charles remained in exile in Austria with 
his Austrian wife.

1697 After the Treaty of Ryswick, 
Duke Leopold compromised with Louis XIV, held the title 
of Duke but surrendered much authority; Leopold was 
German-Austrian.

~First~ "Swabian Migration" under Habsburg 
King Charles VI 1718-1737.

1738 After the Treaty of Vienna, 
Duke Franz, who had married Maria Theresa (Habsburg) ceded 
Lorraine to Louis XIV, in exchange for Tuscany; Stanislaus, 
a deposed King of Poland, was named titular Duke for life.

~Second~ "Swabian Migration" under Habsburg 
Queen Maria Theresa 1740-1772.

~ Third~ "Swabian Migration" under Habsburg 
King Joseph V 1780-1790.

1793 Feudal estates and fiefs incorporated 
into the French Republic, named departments of Meurthe, 
Meuse, Vosges and Moselle (included German Lorraine and 
Pays Messin).

1871 After the Treaty of Frankfort, 
Moselle (including German Lorraine, the city of 
Metz and Pays Messin) were ceded to the German Empire.

Lorraine remained part of the German Empire until 1918, 
when it was awarded to France after World War I. 

Johannes Deckert, B: 1710, Prussia.
Johannes Jacob Deckert, B: 1757, Alace, Metz, 
Lorraine Prov., France, under German control.
Death: 1853, Monroe Co. IN.
Married: 1783, Botecourt Co., VA., Mary Vance. 
Mary Deckert, B: 1783, Wythe Co. VA., 
D: 1845, Lawrence Co., Guthrie, IN. 
Married: Common-Law-wife of Jacob Wampler. 
Jacob Wampler took the last name of Mary, DECKERT. 
James Deckard, B: 1825, Wythe Co. VA.,
D: 6 Aug 1897, Lawrence Co., Guthrie, IN. 
M: 5 Jun 1850, Mary M. Patton. 
George Washington Deckard, B: 16 Jul 1869, 
D: 31 May 1934, Guthrie, IN. Buried: Hansen Cem., Monroe 
Co., IN. 
M: 5 Nov 1892, Arizona Pearl Stewart (Stuart). 
Clinton Edward Deckard, B: 14 Jan 1918, 
D: 15 Mar 1999, Law. Co. IN., Buried: Mt Pleasant Church. 
M: 8 Apr 1939, Blanche Margarite Bartlett. 
John Larry Deckard, B: 24 Mar 1942, 
M: 21 Oct 1962, Arlis Deanna Deckard. 
Katrina Joleyne Deckard, B: 1 Sep 1963. 
M: 6 Jun 1986, Charles Bradley Sykes. 
Joshua Bradley Sykes, B: 10 Jul 1987. 
  
   

The German surname Decker is occupational in origin, 
being one of those surnames derived from the type
of work a man once did or the profession he purused. 
In this instance the surname 
has been derived from the Old High German word "decker", 
denoting a "thatcher/roof coverer". The meaning of the 
word expanded as the Middle Ages progressed, until it also 
encompassed other crafts-men such as architects and 
carpenters. Early records of the surname Decker date 
back to the thirteenth century. One Ulricus qui dicitur 
Deckere was registered as a resident of Strasbourg in 1270, 
and in 1281 one Matildus Dekerin was living in Ebersbach. 
Later records indicate that Christian Decker, son of 
Adam Decker, was christened on May 19th, 1433 in Schwarzenberg, 
Zwickau. The marriage of one Geertruid Deckers to 
Wilhelm Blommaert was celebrated on October 8th, 1673 in 
Nuernberg Stadt, Mittelfranken and Karl Christoph Decker wed
Johanna Dorothea Klein on February 10th, 1793 in Sayda, Dresden.

Variants of the suname Decker include Deker, Dekker,
Dekkes, Deckard, Dekk, Deck, Deckert. Notable Bearers of 
this surname were J. Decker (1610-1666), a Dutch poet, 
and P. Decker (1677-1713), a German architect. Bearers 
of the family name Decker to the United States include, among 
others, Rudolph Decker who is recorded as having 
arrived in the State of Maryland in the 1757. 
The name could of course have been first introduced to 
that country at an even earlier date. 
  
   
The Beginning
  
   


There were 3 Sons, that came from Metz, France.
(Under German control at time.) Johannes Jacob Deckert
was born in Prussia and migrated to Metz, France. That 
is where three sons left for U. S. A. Johannes Deckard came
from Alsace, Lorraine, France/Germany. He settled in the 
Hudson Valley of New York and had a boarding house, for
emigrants. The name Johannes means son of. His son Jacob 
was in the revolutionary war. Jacobs, cabin was built where 
the Ransburg Boy Scout camp is now. Their is still a small 
family cemetery up in the woods.

Sons: Came to America via New York City about 
1775 and eventually settled in southwestern part of State 
of VA. in what is now Wythe Co., VA, which was constitued 
about 1790. The Deckard family, had all left Wythe Co. by 
1830-1832, and settled in Monroe Co. IN., and thence 
principally to surrounding counties in Indiana.
Counties: 1. Monroe, 2. Lawrence, 3. Brown, 4. Green, 
5. Sullivan and to the State of MO.
LOADING! Please wait ...

Getting Around
There are several ways to browse the family tree. The Tree View graphically shows the relationship of selected person to their kin. The Family View shows the person you have selected in the center, with his/her photo on the left and notes on the right. Above are the father and mother and below are the children. The Ancestor Chart shows the person you have selected in the left, with the photograph above and children below. On the right are the parents, grandparents and great-grandparents. The Descendant Chart shows the person you have selected in the left, with the photograph and parents below. On the right are the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Do you know who your second cousins are? Try the Kinship Relationships Tool. Your site can generate various Reports for each name in your family tree. You can select a name from the list on the top-right menu bar.

In addition to the charts and reports you have Photo Albums, the Events list and the Relationships tool. Family photographs are organized in the Photo Index. Each Album's photographs are accompanied by a caption. To enlarge a photograph just click on it. Keep up with the family birthdays and anniversaries in the Events list. Birthdays and Anniversaries of living persons are listed by month. Want to know how you are related to anybody ? Check out the Relationships tool.




 SiteMap  |  Visitors: 605        | TribalPages Forum