Home Page Site Map Sources Guest Book Connections

Welcome! This website was created on Mar 28 2007 and last updated on Jun 21 2020. The family trees on this site contain 790 relatives and 191 photos. If you have any questions or comments you may send a message to the Administrator of this site.
Family Members
Sign In
Request Invitation
About Deanna's Taylor, Deckard, McBride, Lewis, Quackenbush Family Tree's

"The name Taylor in Ireland was introduced into the Country by Settlers from  England and Scotland as early as the fourteenth Century. The majority of  descendents bearing this name can still be found in the initial Settlement  area of the Province of Ulster. The Penninton Castle, in Cumberland County,  England, is where some of my Ancestors were born.

One of the first records of the family name TAYLOR was found in Kent,  which is located in Scotland. The TAYLOR family traces their  ancestral roots back to Norman origin before the year 1100. From here  they branched and migrated, gaining prosperity as a notable family  of Scotland and later other countries.

The TAYLOR family is distinguished as a Clan in it's own right  with a extensive history. In ye old days a family could not qualify  for Clan Status unless they had the proven ability to put 250 armed  men ahorse within one hour to defend their clan, lands and properites.  As well as providing a fighting men for their leige lord and king.

The Taylor family held Castles, Estates and Manors that you can  still find in England. Branches formed throughout Europe, North  America, and Australia.

The English suname Taylor is classified as being occupational in  origin. It can be said that the most ancient and interesting of  surnames are those derived from the occupation of the original bearer.  Occupational names have provided what has been described by Scholars  as "an inventory of the common trades of medieval Europe". Such  names offer a glimpse into the daily lives of our ancestors. With  regard to the surname Taylor, it is ultimately derived from the Anglo  Norman French word "taillour", from the Old French" tailleor, tailleur",  denoting a cutter of cloth, a tailor". Variants of this surname  include Tayler, Tailer and tailyour. Records of this surname in  England date back to the eleventh century when one Walter Taylur  appears in the Archaeologia Cantiana of 1180. In 1182 one William  Le Taillur is listed in the Pipe Rolls of Somerset and John Le  Talliur is mentioned in the Assize Rolls of Lincolnshire in 1202.  In 1273 the Hundred Rolls contain references to Henry Le Taluir of  Co. Norfolk, Cecil Le Tayllour of Cambridgeshire, Roger Le Taylur  of Lincolnshire and Richard Le Taylor of Northhamptonshire. Notable  bearers of this surname include Brook Taylor {1685-1731}, the English  mathematician and Ann Taylor {1782-1866} and her sister Jane {1783- 1823}, English writers of children verses. This suname was intro- duced to the United States at an early date. The "Passenger and  Immigration Lists Index" record that one Mrs. Taylor arrived in  Virginia in 1623 and arrival of one Abraham Taylor is recorded in the same  state in 1654."

               "Records taken from the "Von Quackenbosch Bible"

The Quackenbush family came from Holland, the name in Holland was Von  Quakkenbosch. The American name is Quackenbush. It is spelled several  different ways. The family was of Royal Decent and had a coat of arms. On the  scroll it was written "VREDE IN RYKDOM" interpreted "PEACE IN WEALTH".    Pieter Quackenbosch, Born: 1614, Holland, was the founder of the Quackenbush  family in America, was a brick maker in Albany, New York. Although early  records of Albany contain several references to him as Pieter Quackenbosch, he  is also frquently found undr the name of Pieter Bont, and and sonetimes as  Pieter (or Piet) Bout. The use of a second suname, or alias, was commonly  found among the early Dutch settlers of New Netherland, as well as the  frequent use of the Patronymic.

Pieter Quackenbosch probably left Holland for New Netherland in May of 1653  aboard the ship GRAFT. The following letter from Edward Man and A. Pater,  Directors of the West Indies Company, to Pieter Stuyvesant tell of the  passengers on this ship:

"A" 1653, the 7th of May.
 Honorable, Vigorous, Pious,
 Dear and Faithful.

In the ship 'Graft' goes over Mr. Johan De Hulter, partner in the Colony of  Renselaerswyck, and his family who takes with hime a goodly number of free  people, among them soe artisans, especially a bery good brickmaker, and many  other mentioned in detail in the list, to settle either in said Colony, or  elsewhere and assist in the cultibation of the soil there. As it is not yet  quite decidedm where he may begin and as he may settle on Manhattans Island,  where we believe it would be best, we have deemed it proper and just upon his  request for a recommendation, because not known there, to direst you to favor  him as far as possible without prejudice to the Company's interests and kindly  assist him in everything; and if he should conclude to remain upon Manhattans  or Long Island to allot for him so suitable a place, as his circumstances and  the fitness of it for a brickyard require. Hereupon relying etc. etc.

 the 7th of May 1653
 To Directeur Stuyvesant in New Netherland.


Assumming this brick maker was Pieter Quackenbosch, he most likely did not  settle in New York City but instead accompanied Johan de Hulter to Albany,  then known as Beverwyck. The first mention of Pieter Quackenbosch in the  Albany records occurs the following year, 1 December 1654, in the court  minutes of Fort Orange and Beverwyck, where it stated that "Jan Gouw cut Piet  Bout across the hand," evidently in the course of a fight.

Johan de Hulter established various businesses in Albany, including a brick  kiln and a tile kiln, but died just several uears after his arrival. De Hulter  probably put Pieter Quackenbosch in charge of the operation of the brick kiln,  as evidenced by the following excerpt from the Fort Orange and Beverwyck court  records of 29 May 1657:

"Pieter Bont, Plaintiff, against Pieter Boxboom, defendant.

The plaintiff says that the defendant is bound to burn brick for him for the  period of ten months, exhibiting a contract made between Mr t'Hulter,  deceased, and the defend.

The defendant on the other hand produces an absolute release from Madam  Johanna, Widow of the said Mr De Hulter, deceased.

The court, having examined the contract and the release, adjudge that the  defendant is released from his contract by virtue of the release."

Pieter is first mentioned as "Pieter Quackenbosch" in the court minutes of  Fort Orange and Beverwyck on 20 August 1657, again as a plaintiff agains  Pieter Bosboom. Still another complaint was filed against Bosboom on 8 Febuary  1658, this time by "Pieter Bout's wife."

n 7 November 1657, Johanna de Hulter announced her intention to sell at public  auction her brick kiln, tile kiln, house, barn, pasture and other pieces of  property apparently left to her by ber husband. The brick kiln was sold to the  highest bidder, Adrian Jansen Van Ilpendam, for the sum of 1,100 guilders. At  the same time, At the same time, Madame de Hulter also sold "at public sale,  the house where Piet Bout dwills" to Aernoldus Van Curler for the sum of 740  guilders.

Pieter Quackenbosch probably continued to operate the brickyard for a number  of years, despite its sale to Adriaen Ban Ilpendam. In 1668, Pieter purchased  the brickyard from Van Ilpendam, as shown by the following deed:

"Appeared before us, undersigned, commissaried of Albany, etc., Adriaen Van  Ilpendam, who declares that in true rights, free ownership, he grants, conveys  and makes over to Pieter Quackenbos in the brickyard according to the fence  thereabout set, lying here in the colony and by said Pieter Quackenbos  occupied according to the right and ownership of the ground which he bought  and paid for, of madame, the widow of the late Johan de Hulter, now wife of  Jeronimus Ebbinck, according to release, of date the 20th of August 1664, on  condition that said Quackenbos pay yearly a rent of two Carolus guilders to  the Heer director of the colony according to the tenor of the contract  therefor, of date the 11th of November 1657, to which reference is herein  made; and therefore giving said Quackenbos, his heirs and successors or  assigns, full power to dispose thereof as he might do with his patrimonial  effects; also acknowledging that he is fully paid and satisfied therefor and  therefore promising to protect and free the same from all trouble and claims  as is right, and never more to do now suffer anything to be done against the  same, in any manner, on pledge of this person and estate, nothing excepted,  subject to all laws and judges.
 Done in Albany the 21st July 1668.

Pieter Quackenbosch's wife, Maritje Ariens (Dochter), was also closely  involved in the operation of the brickyard, as shown by her frequent  appearance in the Albany court records in matters dealing wth its operation.  The following Albany court record from the year 1684 illustrates her heavy  involvement in the brick business:

The plaintiff's wife on behalf of her husband demands according to settlement  of accounts 7 1/2 beavers for bfick delivered.

The defendant claims that she did not deliver the brick according to the  agreement, having delivered soft brick among the gable brick. Also that he had  to wait for brick, to his great loss, for which he demands damages.

The oath being deferred to the plaintiff;'s wife, she swears that according to  the last settlement of accounts there was due to her 7 1/2 beavers.

The honorable court condemn the defendant to pay the plaintiff the sum of 7  1/2 beavers demanded, cum expensis." [This court record contradicts the  assumption in the 1909 genealogy of the family that it was Maritje who died in  1682 when Pieter paid for the use of the large funeral pall.]

In 1683, "pr Quackebos" pledged two "pieces of 8" toward the annual salary of  the Dominie [Minister] Godefridus Dellius. Immediately following Pieter's name  are listed the names of Wouter Pieterse, Jan Pieterse and Reynier Pieterse, no  doubt Pieter's three sons, shown using the patronymic. According to this  record in the court minutes of Albany, they all lived "outside the North gate,  up the river."

The fact that Pieter Quackenbosch and Pieter Bont were the same person is  proven several years later when Pieter traded his house and pantile shed for a  house in the city of Albany:

"Know all men whom it may concern that on the fourth day of the month of  January 1686/1687, appeared before me, Jan Becker, notary public, Pieter  Quackenbosch, residing near the city of Albany, in the colony of  Renselaarswyck, of the one part, and Jacob van Vorst, residing in the city of  Albany, of the other part, who declared that they had deliberately and  amicably agreed about a matter of purchase and exchange, as follows. The  aforesaid Quackenbosch declares that he has sold to and exchanged with the  aforesaid van Vorst his house, pantile shed and land, as far as it belongs to  him and is occupied and possessed by him, saving the lord's right (except a  certain small parcel of land which belongs to Mr. Jan Hendryck Bruyn), and all  that is fastened thereto by earth and nail nothing in the world excepted, but  the burnt brick which at present are in the kiln shall belong to Quackenbosch.  The aforesaid buildings and land stand and are situated in the colony of  Renselaarswyck and are at present occupied by him; they will be delivered to  the purchaser on the conditions hereinbefore written buring the ensuing month  of March anno 1686/1687, provided and upon the express condition that the  aforesaid van Vorst shall then also deliver to the grantor his unincumbered,  saving the lord's right, with all that is fastened thereto by earth and nail,  nothing in the world excepted, and in addition thereto twenty beavers or the  falue theof in silver money; and they promise to deliver to each other a  proper deed and to free each other from further claims, all without guile or  deceit, for which they bind their respective persons and properties, present  and future, without any exception, subjecting the same according to law. In  witness of the truth they have signed and sealed this at the house of the  aforesaid Quackenbosch, situated in the colony of Renselaarswyck, on the date  above written, being in the second year of riegn of his Royal Majesty of Great  Britain.

Pieter Bont
 otherwise called Quackenbosch------------[seal]
 This is X the mark of Jacob van Vorst------[seal]"

In 1669 and again in 1680, in court cases involving the operation of the brick  kiln, a Pieter Quackenbosch is mentioned using patronymic, first as "Piter  Piterse Quackenbos" and later as "Pieter Pieterse Quackeboss." Several family  researchers in the past have assumed this Pieter was a son of Pieter the  Immigrant. This researcher fails to find any evidence in the early New York  records that Pieter the Immigrant had a son named Pieter, raising the  possibility that this reference was to Pieter the Immigrant himself. If so,  Pieter the Immigrant's father was also named Pieter Quackenbosch (or Pieter  Bont).

Adriana Suydam Quackenbush, in her 1909 genealogy of the family, identifies  the Immigrant Pieter Quackenbosch with the student Petrus Quackenbosh at the  University of Groningen in 1695. This connecton, however, was made prior to  the discovery that Pieter Quackenbosch also used the name of Pieter Bont and  was in the New World as early as 1654.

The children assigned to Pieter the Immigrant in this genealogy vary womewhat  from the children assigned to Pieter in the 1909 genealogy of the family. The  primary reason for these differences also derives from thediscovery that  Pieter the Immigrant was in New Netherland as early as 1654. We also know from  the 1674 marriage record of Pieter's son Reynier that Reynier was born in  Holland. An analysis of the families of the other children of Pieter the  Immigrant suggests that Reynier was probably among the younger children of the  family and therefore several of Pieter the Immigrant's children were probably  vorn in Holland. Assuming that a child was born to Pieter and Maritje every  few years, it is possible that they were married as early as 1640. Dutch men  of that period married, on the average, at about the age of 26 and women at  about the age of 23. Applying these averages to a marriage date of about 1640  implies that Pieter was born about 1614 and Maritje about 1617.

The birthdate for Maritje, wife of Pieter the Immigrant, of about 1617 means  that she was approaching the end of her childbearing years by the mid 1660's.  It is unlikely, therfore, that she was the mother of the sons Pieter and  Adriaan listed in the 1909 genealogy of the family. It is far more likely that  Pieter and Adriaan were her grandsons through her son Jan.

The naming of the children of Pieter and Adriaan (as well as the sponsors at  the children's baptisms) also suggest that Pieter and adriaan were sons of Jan  and Machteld (Post) Quackenbosch rather than of Pieter the Immigrant and his  wife Maritje. Just as the patronymic system governed the use of second names  in the early Dutch families, a similar system determined the first names of  the children born to a Dutch family. Under this system, the first-born son was  given the first name of the child's paternal grandfather. The second son was  given the first name of the maternal grandfather. For the daughters, this  pattern was reversed: the first-born daughter was given the name of the  child's maternal grandmather and the second daughter the name of the paternal  granmother. Under this system, successive children were given the names of  their great grandparents. This naming sustem was reinforced by the Dutch  Reformed Church, where the person whose name was given to the child usually  served as the baptism sponsor. If this person could not be present at the  baptism, a close relative was usualyy substituted.

It should also be noted that the three sons of Pieter the Immigrant as shown  in this history of the famly reflect the age-old tradition of "three brothers  who came from Holland" that is found in many early sources, including Jonathan  Pearson's Contributions for the Genealogies of the First Settlers of the  Ancient County of Albany, rom 1630 to 1800 (1872).

REF: QFH&A, pp. 7-24; DSSAY, XXXIV-XXXV, p. 23; Documents Relative to the  Colonial History of New York, E. B. O'Callaghan, 14:202; Minutes of the Court  of Ft. Orange and Beverwyck, trans. A. J. F. van Laer, 1:191, 1:271, 2:38,  2:69, and 2:99; Minutes of the Court of Albany, Rensselaerswyck and  Schenectady, trans. A. J. F. van Laer, 1:77, 3:46m 3:373 and 3:378; Early  Records of the City and County of Albany, and Colony of Rensselaerswyck, 1656- 1675, Jonathan Pearson, 1869, 1:56-59 and 1:446; De Halve Maen, 45:9.   

"The Irish Mcbride is of patronymic origin, deriving from the first name of  a father. In this instance, the name derives from the Old Gaelic name "Mac  Giolla Brighde", which means, literally, "the son of a follower of St.  Brigid". Brigid was the name of a celebrated Irish saint (452-525) who founded  a convent and was renowned for her work in helping the poor. During medieval  times surnames were beginning to enjoy considerable vogue, and hereditary  family names were becoming common.

The first recorded instance of the surname Mc Bride occurs in medieval  document which chronicles famous erenaghs of the Middle Ages. Erenaghs were  Lay Lords whose families held this office and church property from generation  to generation. In some cases, all instances of church establishment had  disappeared, and the Erenaghs had become powerful rulers. The Mc Brides are  listed as being the Erenaghs of Raymunterdoney in County Donegal. By the 17th  Century they had settled at Gweedore in the same County.

Several of the sept became Bishops of Raphoe, the most distinguished of whom  was John Mc Gilbride (d. 1440). A branch of the sept was established in County  Down and in the 1659 census Mc Bride appears as a principal Irish name in  three different Baronies of that county. A notable modern day bearer of the  surname is Sean MacBride (b. 1904), a Nobel prizewinner for Peace and former  Minister for External Affairs. He is the son of the late Major John Mac Bride  (1865-1916), executed after the 1916 Rising, and Maud Bonne Mac Bride (1865- 1953), who was one of the most picturesque figures in the modern Irish  Political scene.

"History of Scotland"

The Scottish McBride is an anglicized form of the Gaelic surname Mac Bridhde,  earlier Mac GilleBridhe, This name is derived from the Gaelic "giolla"  meaning "devotee or servant of Bride." This name was made popular by followers  of St. Bride of Kildare, 452-525 A. D. The Mac Brides of Moray and Bute in the  fourteenth century were a sept of the Clan MacDonald of the Isles, greatest  and most widespread of all Clans, Clan Donald, descendants of Somerled, the  thane of Argyll, who became an independent kin of the "South Isles". In 1135  he helped King David I of Scotland to expel the Norse form Arran and Bute, and  eventually fell at Refrew in 1164, when he himself was invading against King  Malcolm IV. Variants of the surname McBride include McBryde and McBraid.

References to the surname McBride or to its variants are found in Scottish  documents that date back to the 14th Century. Cristinus McBryd, a man of  Thomas De Moravia, had remission of a fine in 1329. John Mc Gilbride was  Captain of Bute from 1370 to 1375. Mac bride is an old name in Arran. In 1684  the name appeared as Mc Bryd, McBrid and Mc Kbrid. The form Macilbride was  much used in olden time in the Lordship of Doune. The McBraid family was  listed among the British Nobility. Listed among ships passengers bound for New  York in the mid 19th Century were Samuel McBride, Sarah McBride, Sophia  McBride, Stephen McBride, Susan McBride, and Thomas Mc Bride, all of whom  departed Liverpool in 1851.

The Mc Brides' Celtic heritage, goes back into antiquity, beyond the 6th  Century AD, to the great clans in what today is Ireland, Conn of the 100  Battles, Cairfre Raida, founder of Dal Raida in Antrim, Eire, and Colla  Uathais. Our Viking heritage goes back to Ingiald "Ill-Ruler" and Olaf "Tree- Hewer" in 7th Century Sweden and Norway. All of these traditional blood lines  came together in the 12th Century Somerled Mac Gillebride Mac Gilladamnan.

Mac Bride in Scotland, though the majority of Irish Mac Brides are Catholics  four prominent Ulster Protestants of the name are noteworthy, all being of the  same family: David Mac Bride (1726-1778), physician and inventor; John Mac  Bride (1730-1800), Admiral in the British navy; Rev. John Mac Bride (1650- 1718), Presbyterian author; and John David Mac Bride (1778-1868), scholar and  head of Magdalen College, Oxford. The miniaturist Alexander Mac Bride (1798- 1852), was born in Co. Monaghan.

The form 'Magee' reflects the pronunciation of Ulster and Scottish Gaelic,  with 'Mag-' most common in the east of the province, and 'Mac-' in the west;

O'Mulbride-Mac Bride, coming from the Irish O'Maoilbrighde, is found as a  chief in the barony of Athlone in Co. Roscommon, east of the River Suck.  Mulbride has been given as a variant of McBride in Keatings History, and no  doubt there has been some interchanging of the name early in history.

Kilbride [Mac Kil Bride] is the form of the name in the province of Connaugh  and the name is also found as Gilbride at times in Ireland."


History of Alsace
 843 After the Treaty of Verdun, 
 Charlemagne's properties were split: the area now 
 known as France went to Charles the Bold, 
 the Rhine territory went to Louis the German; the 
 "Middle Kingdom" including Alsace and Lorraine 
 went to the Emperor Lothaire

870 After the Treaty of Meersen, 
 Alsace went to Louis the German

1469 After the Treaty of St. Omer, 
 Upper Alsace went to Charles of Burgundy
 (ruler of Netherlands and Burgundy), Charles 
 was a French, but became the "landlord," taxes went 
 to the German Emperor of Lower Alsace 
 (Note: upper and lower refer to terrain as it descends 
 to sea level, thus lower refers to the north)

1477 Land in Upper Alsace went to Habsburgs

1639 Most of Alsace taken by France during the 
 Thirty Years' War; some communities were still under 
 German sovereignty

1648 After the Treaty of Westphalia, 
 most of Alsace went to France; some cities remained 
 independent with loyalties unclear

1679 After the Treaty of Nimwegen, 
 cities brought under France

1697 After the Treaty of Ryswick, 
 Louis XIV of France was in possession of most
 of Alsace and Strasbourg, some estates were still 
 possessed by German nobles

~First~ "Swabian" Migration under Habsburg 
 King Charles VI 1718-1737

~Second~ "Swabian" Migration under Habsburg 
 Queen Maria Theresa 1740-1772

~Third~ "Swabian" Migration under Habsburg 
 King Joseph V 178-1790

1795 After the Act of the Assembly of France, 
 feudalism was abolished and France gained greater control

1871 After the Treaty of Frankfort, 
 Alsace was ceded to the German Empire.

Alsace remained part of the German Empire 
 until 1918, when it was awarded to France after 
 World War I.

History of Lorraine
 843 After the Treaty of Verdun, Charlemagne's 
 Empire was split, the "Middle Kingdom" including 
 Lorraine was allotted to the Emperor Lothaire.

870 After the Treaty of Meersen, 
 the "Middle Kingdom" was divided, the majority of the  territory of Lorraine came under West Frankish sovereignty,  the remaining areas passed back and forth between Frankish 
 and German kings.

951 Duchy of Lower Lorraine went to Netherlands and 
 lost the name of Lorraine; Duchy of Upper Lorraine 
 retained its name, was largely independent with some 
 cities being vassals of France, some unimportant towns 
 were vassals of the German Empire.

1473 After the Treaty of Nancy, 
 Charles of Burgundy became the "protector" of Lorraine, aligned with France; the Bishops of Toul, Metz and Verdun 
 were ecclesiastical princes of the Holy Roman Empire.

1476 Upon the death of Charles of Burgundy, 
 Lorraine became and independent Duch under Duke Renee, 
 aligned to France with some cities subordinate to 
 the Duchy.

1542 After the Convention of Nuremburg, 
 Duke Anthony (heir to Renee) confirmed the independence 
 of Lorraine, refused to submit to the German Emperor; 
 Anthony's brothers were French, his daughter-in-law 
 was a niece of the Emperor

1546 Duch placed under French Bishops's guardianship 
 due to the death of Anthony's heir, leaving a widow 
 who was related to the Hapsburgs and a young son; Metz,
 Toul and Verdun came under the French bishopric in 1552.

1632 During the Thirty Years' War, Duke Charles IV 
 was forced to cede much of Lorraine (except Nancy) to 
 French King Louis XIII.

1646 The Treaty of Westphalia after the 
 Thirty Years' War confirmed France in possession of Metz,  Toul and Verdun, other sections of Lorraine not specified.

1659 After the Treaty of the Pyrenees, 
 land was restored to Charles IV, but with diminished power.

1679 After the Treaty of Nimwegen, 
 Louis XIV of France demanded terms in exchange for 
 recognizing Charles V as Duke of Lorraine; Louis began 
 incorporating ten cities into France and assuming control 
 of Lorraine; Duke Charles remained in exile in Austria with  his Austrian wife.

1697 After the Treaty of Ryswick, 
 Duke Leopold compromised with Louis XIV, held the title 
 of Duke but surrendered much authority; Leopold was 

~First~ "Swabian Migration" under Habsburg 
 King Charles VI 1718-1737.

1738 After the Treaty of Vienna, 
 Duke Franz, who had married Maria Theresa (Habsburg) ceded 
 Lorraine to Louis XIV, in exchange for Tuscany; Stanislaus,  a deposed King of Poland, was named titular Duke for life.

~Second~ "Swabian Migration" under Habsburg 
 Queen Maria Theresa 1740-1772.

~ Third~ "Swabian Migration" under Habsburg 
 King Joseph V 1780-1790.

1793 Feudal estates and fiefs incorporated 
 into the French Republic, named departments of Meurthe, 
 Meuse, Vosges and Moselle (included German Lorraine and 
 Pays Messin).

1871 After the Treaty of Frankfort, 
 Moselle (including German Lorraine, the city of 
 Metz and Pays Messin) were ceded to the German Empire.

Lorraine remained part of the German Empire until 1918, 
 when it was awarded to France after World War I.

Johannes Deckert, B: 1710, Prussia.
 Johannes Jacob Deckert, B: 1757, Alace, Metz, 
 Lorraine Prov., France, under German control.
 Death: 1853, Monroe Co. IN.
 Married: 1783, Botecourt Co., VA., Mary Vance. 
 Mary Deckert, B: 1783, Wythe Co. VA., 
 D: 1845, Lawrence Co., Guthrie, IN. 
 Married: Common-Law-wife of Jacob Wampler. 
 Jacob Wampler took the last name of Mary, DECKERT. 
 James Deckard, B: 1825, Wythe Co. VA.,
 D: 6 Aug 1897, Lawrence Co., Guthrie, IN. 
 M: 5 Jun 1850, Mary M. Patton. 
 George Washington Deckard, B: 16 Jul 1869, 
 D: 31 May 1934, Guthrie, IN. Buried: Hansen Cem., Monroe 
 Co., IN. 
 M: 5 Nov 1892, Arizona Pearl Stewart (Stuart). 
 Clinton Edward Deckard, B: 14 Jan 1918, 
 D: 15 Mar 1999, Law. Co. IN., Buried: Mt Pleasant Church. 
 M: 8 Apr 1939, Blanche Margarite Bartlett. 
 John Larry Deckard, B: 24 Mar 1942, 
 M: 21 Oct 1962, Arlis Deanna Deckard. 
 Katrina Joleyne Deckard, B: 1 Sep 1963. 
 M: 6 Jun 1986, Charles Bradley Sykes. 
 Joshua Bradley Sykes, B: 10 Jul 1987.

The German surname Decker is occupational in origin, 
 being one of those surnames derived from the type
 of work a man once did or the profession he purused. 
 In this instance the surname 
 has been derived from the Old High German word "decker",  denoting a "thatcher/roof coverer". The meaning of the  word expanded as the Middle Ages progressed, until it also 
 encompassed other crafts-men such as architects and 
 carpenters. Early records of the surname Decker date 
 back to the thirteenth century. One Ulricus qui dicitur 
 Deckere was registered as a resident of Strasbourg in 1270,  and in 1281 one Matildus Dekerin was living in Ebersbach. 
 Later records indicate that Christian Decker, son of 
 Adam Decker, was christened on May 19th, 1433 in Schwarzenberg,  Zwickau. The marriage of one Geertruid Deckers to 
 Wilhelm Blommaert was celebrated on October 8th, 1673 in 
 Nuernberg Stadt, Mittelfranken and Karl Christoph Decker wed Johanna Dorothea Klein on February 10th, 1793 in Sayda, Dresden.

Variants of the suname Decker include Deker, Dekker,
 Dekkes, Deckard, Dekk, Deck, Deckert. Notable Bearers of 
 this surname were J. Decker (1610-1666), a Dutch poet, 
 and P. Decker (1677-1713), a German architect. Bearers 
 of the family name Decker to the United States include, among  others, Rudolph Decker who is recorded as having 
 arrived in the State of Maryland in the 1757. 
 The name could of course have been first introduced to 
 that country at an even earlier date. 
 The Beginning

There were 3 Sons, that came from Metz, France.
 (Under German control at time.) Johannes Jacob Deckert
 was born in Prussia and migrated to Metz, France. That 
 is where three sons left for U. S. A. Johannes Deckard came
 from Alsace, Lorraine, France/Germany. He settled in the 
 Hudson Valley of New York and had a boarding house, for
 emigrants. The name Johannes means son of. His son Jacob 
 was in the revolutionary war. Jacobs, cabin was built where  the Ransburg Boy Scout camp is now. Their is still a small 
 family cemetery up in the woods.

Sons: Came to America via New York City about 
 1775 and eventually settled in southwestern part of State 
 of VA. in what is now Wythe Co., VA, which was constitued 
 about 1790. The Deckard family, had all left Wythe Co. by 
 1830-1832, and settled in Monroe Co. IN., and thence 
 principally to surrounding counties in Indiana.
 Counties: 1. Monroe, 2. Lawrence, 3. Brown, 4. Green, 
 5. Sullivan and to the State of MO.

LOADING! Please wait ...

Getting Around
There are several ways to browse the family tree. The Tree View graphically shows the relationship of selected person to their kin. The Family View shows the person you have selected in the center, with his/her photo on the left and notes on the right. Above are the father and mother and below are the children. The Ancestor Chart shows the person you have selected in the left, with the photograph above and children below. On the right are the parents, grandparents and great-grandparents. The Descendant Chart shows the person you have selected in the left, with the photograph and parents below. On the right are the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Do you know who your second cousins are? Try the Kinship Relationships Tool. Your site can generate various Reports for each name in your family tree. You can select a name from the list on the top-right menu bar.

In addition to the charts and reports you have Photo Albums, the Events list and the Relationships tool. Family photographs are organized in the Photo Index. Each Album's photographs are accompanied by a caption. To enlarge a photograph just click on it. Keep up with the family birthdays and anniversaries in the Events list. Birthdays and Anniversaries of living persons are listed by month. Want to know how you are related to anybody ? Check out the Relationships tool.

SiteMap|Visitors: 657|TribalPages Forum