Home Page Site Map Sources Guest Book Connections

Welcome! This website was created on 26 Mar 2009 and last updated on 15 May 2024. The family trees on this site contain 21811 relatives and 774 photos. If you have any questions or comments you may send a message to the Administrator of this site.
Family Members
Sign In
Request Invitation
LOADING! Please wait ...
LOADING! Please wait ...
About Tree of JENKINS, McKinnon, Anderson, Byrne, Ryan, Pead,Teale
My name is COLIN JENKINS b.1957 Footscray Victoria. I have 9 brothers & 2 Sisters and  one step brother. Our Ancestors come from Dunoon Scotland, and my grandmother's  ancestors are from Ireland.  
 My wife JENNETTE McKINNON b. 1959 Sydney ancestors are from the Isle of Sky Scotland  and her grandfather Robert (Bob) James Pead ancestors are from England.On her Fathers  side of the family tree has a lot of Australin history with the Teale's and the  Kable's and will form a major part of this website.
 	Henry KABLE1 was born about 1764 in Laxfield, Norfolk, England, U.K. and was  christened on 26 Aug 1764 in Laxfield, Suffolk, England, U.K.. He died on 16 Apr 1846  in , Windsor, Nsw, Australia and was buried on 18 Apr 1846 in St Mathews C/E,  Windsor, Nsw, Australia. Henry married Susannah HOLMES on 10 Feb 1788 in St Phillips,  Sydney, Nsw, Australia.

On the 1st. Febuary 1783 Henry Keable the younger (spelt "Cabell" on his Charge  Sheet) was convicted at Therford Norfolk 
 of Burglary he was imprisoned in Norwich Castle awaiting transportation. His father  and a accomplice Abraham Carman 
 were hanged for their part. On the 13th of May 1787 Henry sailed in the Friendship  bound for Botany Bay.
 Henry Kable moved his family to Windsor in 1810. Two sons George and William settled in Bathurst in the 1820's whereas John remained at Portland Head. George's sons pioneered new territories south and west of Bathurst, and are continuing to do so to this day. Williams sons, and dauthter Agnes Maclean journeyed north beyond the Moreton Bay settlement to bocome Pioneers of the Dawson Valley.
 When the first NSW Electoral Roll was published in 1869 there was only one Kable  mentioned: George Kable Piper Street Bathurst. In those days the only persons allowed  to vote were those males who had finacial standing in the community. From the mid 1870's until the turn of the century evidence emerges of Kables following the gold trails, for example Edgar and Charles Kable Gulgong 1874 William Kable Cobar 1881, John and Charles Kable Bourke 1892 and Prosper Kable Parkes  1893.At the turn of the Century (nearly 100 years after Henry Left) the Kables began  creeping back into Sydney. The first was William Edgar (son of John and Grandson of  Henry) who set up a Bakery in Granville from 1892 until his death in 1915. He was  quickly followed by his sons and nephews. John, Lloyd, Frederick and Charles, all of  whom produced large families which helped to form the basis of the "City Cousins" of  today.
 Of the 5 couples married in the 1st ceremony (Feb. 10 1788) Henry and Susannah were  the only ones to produce descendants in Australia.


When Henry Kable arrived in Sydney Cove, he was already a trusted convict. He had a degree of freedom of the ship during the journey; gained the sympathy of the  Reverend Richard Johnson; and was employed as a watchman over GovernorPhillip's  garden.
 In Jun 1788 Henry complained to the Governor, that certain goods bestowed upon him by  concerned people in London had been allowed to be pilfered by the Master of  the "Alexander" on the voyage.
 A court was duly set up, wherein the Master, Duncan Sinclair was ordered to pay Henry  15 pounds compensation.
 With this money he teamed up with fellow convict James Underwood (a shipwright by  trade) and together they built the first ocean-going vessel in the Colony; The "Contest" (44 tons). Henry and James thus became the first private enterprise partnership in Australia. Two more ships followed the "Governor King" (75 tons) and the "King George" (185 tons). Many other ships were brought and  Kable and Underwood engaged in the Sealing trade in Bass Strait. In 1794 Henry became Chief Constable of Sydney, and in 1796 was Keeper of the Gaol, until dismissed in 1802. He remained in the house next to the Gaol. and in 1803 built a 3 story masion nearby.
 His Enterprise expanded when he and Underwood teamed up with Simeon Lord in 1805 to become Kable and Co. They were imprisoned for one month by Governor Bligh in 1807 for disagreeing with his orders. In 1810 Henry Jnr. took over from his father, who took up farming at Windsor.
 At the height of his career. Henry was reported as; "Being the proud owner of 25 ships and that at his table a choice of 2 wines was served, and of the best  quality."
 At the time of Henrys death his occupation was stated as Yeoman. In 1818 Henry was in possession of the "sisters farm" Windsor 250 Acres (Sydney  Gazette 1818)NORWICH CHRONICLE (some time early in the 19th century) .....gaols were a mixture of squalor, depravity and brutality, and he speaks well for the character as well as the reputation of Kable, that after 3 years he could be described by a writer in the Norwich Chronical as a fine healthy young fellow.
    In the same gaol was a female convict, Susannah Holmes, serving a sentence for 15 yrs. transportation for burglary (in the company of her brother and another man.) she and Kable fell in love, and in 1786 she gave birth to his child, a son also named Henry. Henry and the mother were devoted to the child, and Kable asked repeatedly to be allowed to marry her, but without success.    When the child was 5 months old and "a very fine babe which the mother had suckled from birth" tragedy struck the young couple. Orders were received that the  female convicts (three in all) in the gaol, were to be taken to plymouth to join the  expedition then fitted out, under Captain Arthur Phillip, to establish a colony in  NSW. Kalbe was very distressed when his plea to be allowed to be transported with the  mother and child was refused. In November 1786 the three women and the child, under  the guard of a turnkey named John Simpson, set out on the long voyage some 300 odd  miles, by coach to Plymouth, there to be taken on board the hulk in which they were  to await transportation. There was however worse to come. After waiting in an open  boat for 3 hours the women were put aboard, but the captain of the hulk refused to  allow the child on board, on the grounds that it had no papers. He was adamant in his  refussal, despite the pleas of both the mother and Simpson. Finally the mother was  dragged weeping bitterly and threaterning to kill herself at the first opportunity,  to her cabin, and Simpson was forced to return ashore with the child. Fortunately for  the child and his parents, Simpson was a humane man of strong character, and he  resolved a direct approach to Lord Sydney, the Home Secretary. He thereupon took the first coach to London, nursing the child all the way, and feeding it as best he could. On arrival at London, he went straight away to the home of Lord Sydney, where he forced his way to the attention of a secretary and persuaded him to make out an order for the restoration of the child to his mother. He then waited in the hall until Lord Sydney came down the stairs, and begged  him to sign the order. it is to the everlasting credit of a nobleman of that period  that, instead of having him thrown out, Lord Sydney listened to his story. He  was "deeply affected", and not only signed the order, but gave instructions that, the  mother was to be informed without delay that her son was being returned to her. He  furthermore ordered that Kable was to be transported at the same time, and in the  same fleet. Simpson having arranged for the care of the child, hastened to Norwich to  break the news to the father.
     At the Hawkesbury his farming interest grew, but an attempt to run a stagecoach service failed. In the wider sphere, a whaling and sealing partnership  with Underwood and Lord was dissolved in 1809 leaving Kable a legacy of legal battles  for his assets. Under protective cover of transfer the Henry Jnr. the sydney  interests were secured, while he gradually strengthened those in the growing town of  Windsor.
 Kable had swum against the Hawksbury tide in 1808, pledging hes contribution to a  fund for sending Macarthur Home to complain of Bligh. But more provoking no doubt was  the toughness of his pursuit of outstanding debts; in the aftermath of the 1809 flood  some 50 farms were transferred to Kable's name. When visiting the Hawkesbury, Henry  stayed with his agent William Mason (this was probably William C.1768-1839 Armagh  1791 Life "Boddingtons 1793. A names sake by the "Royal Admiral however, also a lifer  and conditionally pardoned in 1812 cannot be ruled out. Both were in the Windsor-Pitt  Town area. and contemporaries sought to distinguish them by the appellations of  William the first and William the second.) at Killarney Farm. Once in April 1809,  through chafing to return to Sydney he yielded to Mrs. Mason's desire that she be  conducted with her daughter to Richmond in his chaise. Setting off briskly along the  grassy river road, near Bakers Lagoon the vehicle hit a concealed stump and Henry  went overboard. The driverless horse took fright and bolted, throwing out the  ladies and one of them lay motionless; a wheel had passed over and crushed Mrs. Sarah  Mason's back. The Badgerys and William Faithfull passing by were 'very attentive to  the offices of humanity' but when Dr. Mileham arrived the patient was dead in her  daughter's arms; she left a disconsolate husband with 6 children.The Widower, as  Kable's chief debt collector, was assisted by Matthew Everingham and Miles Fieldgate  from downriver; and maybe the assault charges levelled at Kable and son-in-law Gaudry  in 1811 came of their own direct approach. Henry had already tried a milder one,  reminding settlers via the Gazette of their promises to pay up at harvest time,  promises which seemingly endured in his memory alone!
 In 1811, as lessee of the 350 acre Balmain Estate at McGraths Hill he brought Susannah and her brood to take up residence. But the Kable star was waning, vast landholdings on the Hawkesbury and Nepean notwithstanding; the Geordy, the  Hawkesbury or Endeavour lying at the Windsor wharf to take on Kable grain; the  partnership with Woodbury in the old Thompson Brewery; the store with exotic  merchandise of India and European goods everything it seems from saddlery to  perfumery. The brewery closed in 1813, the Hawkesbury preferring hard liquor to  Woodbury's excellent beer. And Henry's affairs on other fronts were shaky, even as he  was officiating, along with other well-to-do emancipits at the 1813 anniversary  dinner in Sydney. Later that year the provost-marshal was advertising his property  for sale.
 A son it seems, in 1814 was fined for working on the Sabbath, but the family was not awaiting proceeds from this illigal employment to by a loaf of bread; there was still sufficent to ge by. Henry Jnr. was to make a creditable living from  the shipping trade, while others of the family prospered on the Hawkesbury or at  Bathurst. Old Henry in 1820 became a committee member of the Windsor Bible  Association. Source Early Hawksbury Settlers.
 Norwich Mercury, 8 February 1783; 'Last week some villains broke into the house of  Mrs. Hambling. at Aldeburgh, near Harleston, in this county and during the absence of  the family, who were in this city, stripped it of every moveable, took the  hangings from the bed-steads, and even the meat out of the pickly cases: it is  supposed they also regaled them-selves with wine, having left several empty bottles  behind them. The marks of the feet of horses being seen in the orchard by a neighbour,  was what firs led to a discovery of the burglary".Henry Cabell and his father Henry  from Mendham in suffolk, and Abraham Carman of Laxfield, were arrested for the break- in and committed to the Castle in Norwich. The following month they were conveyed  from Norwich to the Assize at Thetford to stand trial. All three were found guilty  and condemned to be hanged on the scaffold an the Castle Hill in Norwich. However,  Henry Cabell Junior was reprieved and sentenced instead to transportation to America.  After the Assize was over they were taken back to Norwich to await their fate. A  fornight later on 31st March, Henry's father and Abraham Carman were executed outside  the Castle according to their sentence.
 In the November of 1783 Susannah Holmes was committed to the Castle for burglary. She had to wait until the following March before coming to trial at Thetford, and there she was given a sentence of death commuted to transportation to  America. Before the sentences could be carried out the American Colonies broke away  from England's rule and there was no longer anywhere to send the transports. Henry  and Susannah and the other prisoners in a similar situation were stranded until an  alternative could be found.
 Eventually it was decided to send a fleet of convict ships to found a new colony in Australia. However the fleet did not leave until the spring of 1787 so Henry and Susannah remained in the Castle for the intervening years. Those years spent confined in the Castle began a lifelong partnership. John Howard the prison reformer, had visited Norwich Castle in the 1770's and commented on the conditions existing at that time. It is from his report and other contemporary records that we are able to catch glimpses of what life may have  been like for Henry and Susannah encarcerated in the old gaol. The prison consisted  of the roofless shell of the Norman Keep with a collection of later brick buildings  built around its walls. These buildings incorporated the surviving stone dungons of  the original Keep. Drainage and sanitation were almost non-existent and the  atmosphere in the gaol on hot summer days must have been extremely unpleasant. In  winter it must have been bitterly cold as little sun would have filtered over the top  of the high Keep walls down to the felon's yard below. There were fireplaces and fuel  available but cold stone dungeons would respond little to the few meagre fires  provided by the authorities. A bleak outlook indeed for those forced to live in such  surroundings.
 In the spring of 1783 when Henry was convicted, the day-to-day running of the gaol was in the hands of the gaoler, George Gynne. In former years the prisoners had complained about the brutal treatment meted out by some of his predecessors but John Howard records that George Gynne was a humane man and respected by his prisoners.
 The gaoler received no salary by paid the Under-Sheriff 31pounds 10shillings per annum for his job. At that time few gaolers were paid a salary. They expected to recoup this outlay and make a profit by a system of fees and charges that they levied on the prisoners and magistrates. Every event in the life of the prison was made the subject of a fee. A prisoner paid a fee to the gaoler  on coming into prison, and then a fee called "garnish" to his fellow prisoners. He  was fitted with a set of leg irons, although if he was rich enough he might pay to  have them removed. Almost all felons at the Castle wore irons until the early  nineteenth century and Henry was probably no exception.
 Prisoners were expected to pay for lighting, heating, bedding and most of all any food over and above the meagre rations provided by th county for the relief of  poor prisoners. They were issued with a small loaf of bread each day and shared a  stone of cheese each week. A prisoner's share would have been very small,  especially when the prison was crowded, as it was in February 1786. Then it was  ordered by the Justice that an extra stone of cheese be provided, presumably because  the usual allowance was not enough to keep the prisoners from starvation. The prisoners were able to make small items such as garters, nets, laces and purses to sell to passers-by through the gratings of the day rooms on the east side  of the Castle. By this means they were able to earn a little money for extra food  and, perhaps, beer or wine available from the gaoler. In connection with these  earnings we come across John Simpson, the turnkey, whoes efforts before the fleet set  sail enabled Henry and Susannah to leave together with their child. In 1786 the  justices awarded Simpson one shilling in the pound out of the prisoners's earnings,  so he must have kept a close eye on the prisoners and their transactions and, no  doubt, got to know Henry and Susannah very well.
 If a prisoner was rich and could afford to live in the better rooms on what was  called the Master's side of the gaol, then life might be made tolerable. If he was  poor, then he lived in the squalid dungeons on the Common side and survived as best  he could on charity and his wits. The weekly rent for the best rooms was painted  above the doors and an extract from Howard's report descrives the fees as follows. "For chamber rent where the gaoler finds bedding and linen and a prisoner hath a bed  to himself or herself, per week 2 shillings. Where there are two in a bed not  exceeding per week 1s.6d. Where there are three in a bed not exceeding per week  each prisoner 6d."If you had no money for bedding and could not obtain any by other  means, thenyou slept on the floor. Life could be unbearable if that floor was in the dungeon described by Howard as being".....down a ladder of 8 steps, for men felons; in which has been sometimes and inch or tow of water..." Even in this apparently hostile environment there were opportunities for those with  the ability to exploit them. In fact the gaoler would have relied to a certain extent  on trusted prisoners to help run the gaol and would have given them special treatment  as reward for their co-operation. Perhaps Henry was a trusty. If he was it would have  helped towards his survival and later sympathetic treatment by the authorities in  keeping his family together.Whatever their circumstances were Henry and Susannah  seemed to have the knack for survival. Despite the squalid conditions they emerged  after three yearswith their health intace.
 During the day there was no segregation of the sexes in the old Castle yard or  dayrooms although it seems likely that they were locked up separately at night. Because of the free association possible between all classes of prisoner at that  time, Henry and Susannah would have come to know each other very well. Their  relationship grew and in 1786 a few months before the first fleet set sail for  Australia their eldest son Henry was born.
 During the period of their imprisonment there were some changes made. A bathhouse had been built up against the wall in the north west corner of the yard. An improvement, no doubt, but probably little used at the time and not used at all thirty years later. Washing was not a high priority in eighteenth century gaols. A pump had also been provided in the prison yard so that drinking  water was readily available to the prisoners. New regulations for the prison were  drawn up, perhaps in response to the criticisms made by John Howard. There was a move  to reduce the profit motive of the prison staff and thereby hope to end the  corruption in the system. The licence to sell wine and beer to the prisoners  previously granted to the gaoler was withdrawn and several of his other fees and  perks were stopped. In lieu of the income from the licence and fees, George Gynne was  paid a salary of 200 pounds beginning in 1785. His vested interested in the prison  was lessened but did not end there as he still continued to sell some comforts to the  prisoners, but the survival of the felons was less dependent on their financial  circumstances and this was a welcome improvement. Amongst all these reforms, one  thing did not improve and that was the state of the buildings which in 1785 were  declared unfit for properly keeping prisoners.
 A year after this declaration on 26th October 1786 Elizabeth Puiley, Susannah Holmes and her baby son Henry, and Ann Turner, were taken from the Castle, ultimately to join the first fleet of convict ships being assembled off Portsmouth. They were taken first to Plymouth to board a prison hulk to await transportation. However when they arrived, the captain refused to allow Susannah to take her son with her as he had no papers for the boy. John Simpson, the trunkey who had accompanied them from Norwich, was outraged by this callous behaviour and took the child to London to petition Lord Sydney, Colonial Secretary, for papers for the child. His efforts were rewarded and Lord Sydney granted his request, and further ruled that Henry Cabell, still in the  Castle in Norwich, should be brought to join them in Plymouth. So the family was  reunited and after a long voyage the ships arrived in Australia to found the new  colony. Soon after their arrival Henry and Susannah were married in the first wedding  ceremony held in Australia on 10th February 1788. Their family went from strength to  strength, surviving the precarious early years of the colony, and the descendants of  their children still live and thrive there today.
 What of Norwich Castle? The dingy, foul smelling dungeons were at the end of their life and soon after Henry and Susannah left Norwich, plans were drawn up for a  new gaol. In 1792-3 the old buildings were swept away and new buildings were erected  in the shell of the old Keep.
 By.  Nick Arber, Norfolk Museums Service June 1897.
 1794 - Granted 30 Acres at Petersham
 1795 - Granted 15 1/2 Acres at Petersham (approx Summer Hill Railway Station) 1796 - Purchased 100 Acres at Petersham from occupiers Thomas Rowden J. Jones        F.McKewen and J. Butcher
 1803 - Granted a lease of 67 1/2 rods for 14 years on the north side of the        goal
 1804 - Granted 30 Acres at "Bulanaming" (south of Petersham) by Governor King 1809 - Granted 84 1/2 rods High Street Sydney
 1809 - Windsor allotment on road from Howe's Bridge north from George Street        South by Macquarie Street given to hem by Governor Macquarie. Note        Kable Street Windsor
 1810 - Granted 200 Acres at Airds, on the Nepean River
 1810 - Granted 300 Acres at Minto on the old Hume Highway - known as        "Holmes Farm"
 1813 - 100 Acres grant at Bathurst in exchange for land a Petersham given        up to make the Liverpool Road
 1815 - Granted 45 1/4 rods plus 4 cows as renumeration for a plot of ground        in Windsor given up to make the general hospital
 1825 - Purchased 60 Acres at Pitt Town the grant of William Douglas. (Henry's        final residence where he remained until his death in 1846) NEWSPAPER ADDS BY HENRY KABLE.
 Sydney Gazette August 18, 1810
 Lost from Mr. Kable's stock at Long Cove, a young red cow with a white star in the  forehead and a white mark over one of the eyes - also a black bull - calf of twelve  months old. Any person restoring the above shall receive two guineas reward for  the cow (which is supposed to have calved since being missing) and one guinea for the  calf. Some information having been given where such strayed cattle are supposed to  be, any person with holding them after this advertisement will be prosecuted with the  utmost vigour.
 Sydney Gazette August 11, 1810
 Mr. Henry Kable has to acquaint the Government, the Military and the Public committees that merchants ship owners families and the public in general that having erected a commodious building for the purpose of baking bread and biscuit which will be opened on Monday where they may rely upon every attention being  paid to any orders that may be received upon the most reasonable terms, having every  advantage of a good windmill and baker, in addition to asubstantial bakehoust.      NB> Should the grain be required of Mr. Kable for baking as above a timely notice is  requested.
 Sydney Gazette July 14, 1810
 Mr. Kable wishing to accommodate all such persons residing at the Hawkesbury as stand  endebted to him and preclude any excuse for not liquidating the same informs all such the Sound Maize will be taken at Four Shillings per bushel which will be received at the following houses - Viz Mr. Matthew Everingham and Mr.  Benjamin Carver from the Green Hills and Mr. Miles Fieldgate down the river  Hawkesbury each of which will give receipts for any payments made to him on  his account and Mr. Kable thus publicly assures all those persons so indebted who do  not avail themselves of this opportunity that the most speedy and efffectual method  will be adopted to enforce the same.From the book The Secord Fleeters, an artical re.  Sarah Woolley. On 12 April 1809 Sarah asked the local Buisnessman Henry Kable Senior  to take her for a drive from Green Hills (Windsor) to Richmond for the sake of her  health.Accompanied by her eldest daughter Elizabeth they set off by the riverside road. The Chaise struck a concealed stump near Mackellars Creek throwing Kable to the  ground. The women screamed at the jerk, causing the horse to bolt, trowing them as  well. Sarah said one of the wheels of the vehicle had passed over her back  (further details in the book.)
 From "The Breweries of Australie: A History" by Deith M. deutsher, page 84.
 Kable's Brewere 1811-1830
 At the beginning of 1811 Henry kable and richard woodbury built a large and well- equipped brewere on a 2 acre block of land, with a freshwater creek flowing  alongside. the complex consisted of a brick Brewery, malthouse, kiln, granary and a  comfortable house. In keeping with the custom of the period, Kable & Woodbury advised  all and sundry, by card, of their superior products and terms of trading. Richard Woodbury retired in 1816 and sold his interest to his partner. By 1820 the  management had been taken over by Henry kable's son George who ran the business  untill the late 1820's or early 1830's.
 A note received on the Net from Janice and Alan at adoughty01@optusnet.com.au The side of the Regent Hotel is on the original site of The Old Gaol and part of the  home site of Henry Kable, on the rest of the Kable site is the overhead roadway of  the cahill expressway.Kable's home was on the corner of Brown Bear Land and Major's  Row (later Lower George Street) his residence was directly opposite the home of  George Johnston as per a mop of the town dated 1803-1810. On a later map of Old  sydney Town dated 1844-1848, the Old Gaol site is still there, however there are no  buildings shown to be still standing on the site of the Old Goal. Henry Kable's  property on this map is now a pub called "Rose of Australia" and on the opposite  north corner is the pub Brown Bear.
 Neil Henderson account of Henry's life in file. Have not copies as most of the  information is the same as I have.Beeston October 29 1786
 My Lord(Sir Harbord Harbord, Lord suffield of Gunton Hall his Manor in Nth West  Norfolk)
 I am sorry to trouble Your Lordship so often, but the subject of this letter is of  very different nature to the last, it is to request your Lordship's interest with  Lord Sydney on behalf of two lovers in Norwich Castle not that their sentence be  mitigated but that they may both transported to Botany  Bay,  Susannah Holmes  sentenced to be transported fourteen years embarks tomorrow, or rather is to be  conveyed from Norwich to the place of embarkation, but having become a mother since  her residence in the Castle by one Henry Cable under a like sentence for seven years  his attachment is so strong that rather than be separated from her and his child he  is desirous of being transported to the same place.
 Mr. Willins, the Caplin, mentioned this matter to me and Mr Rigby (this was Dr.  Edward Rigby of which there will be more detail later in another update) conirmed the  truth of it and seemed to be persuaded this attachment was a likely means rendering  them useful members of Society if their prayer was granted of being allowed to go  together.Mr. Fellowes and Mr. dillingham to whom this matter was comunicated at a  meeting for County Business yesterday, desired I would use their name in requesting  Your Lordship to acquaint the Secretary of State with this business, it is probable  that an order following of application would be in time for Henry Cable to join the  party before the ship sails.
 I must not conceal from Your Lordship that Mr.Ribby understands that the compliment  of these transports being compliant, only three females have been ordered from  Norwich, but this is so singular a case that as I presume an application under  circumstances so authenicated is to be readily attended to.
 I have the honour to be with the united company of Mrs. Preston and myself to your  Lordship Lady Suffild and Miss Harbord
 My Lord,
 Your Lordship's most obedient
 and humble servant,
 Jacob Preston was a Norfold Squire who was residing in Norwich at the time of this  letter. His residence 'Beeston"had been demolished and new home was being built in  that year.Two days later another letter accompanied by first, being from Lord  suffield was sent to Evan Nepean the Under Secratary to continue the appeal.

My Lord , (Evan Nepean)
 The circumstances mentioned in the enclosed letter has been the subject of  conversation with many of the Justices of the county. It is so well known fact, tho'  they have now only put me upon troubling Your Lordship with the application, I hope  you will be kind enough to pardon me for presuming to intrude upon you with this  business, as I confess that it is not in any power to help feeling interested that  these two poor creatures should be permitted to go together, I have understood tho'  it is possible. I may be mistaken, that these wretches never were considerated in any  or for misdemeanour, but that of a child making. I should hope there might be less  objection should the number of males intended to go be compliant or so limited  that another cannot be sent, will it be impracticable to change one man for another?   I could wish a vacany from a Pardon or any fortunate circumstances to any one of the  convicts, except to my old acquaintance Semple.
 I hope Mr. Townshend was well when your heard from him; permit me to add that Lady  Suffield and my best respects attend upon Lord Sydney, your worship and family. I have the honor of being with the highest esteem and regard your Lordship's most obliged most faithful
 most humble servant
 It appears that these two letters fell on deaf ears and maybe Lord sydney was not  notified explaining his surprise when John Simpson appeared at his offices with his  appeal for the couple and babe.So far the names picked up in the correspondence..... Sir Harbord , seen in English Peerage being Lord Suffield.
 Jacob Preston  Norfolk Squire, 
 Dr. Edward Rigby  medical doctor residing in Norwich and also man of letters writing  various books on Geanocology and Obstetrics.Reverend Willans of Norwich Brampton  Gurdon Dillingam of Letton Hall Robert Fellowes of Shottesham Hall to name a few. Then there were the people we already knew about. Lord Sydney, Thomas townshend,  Richard Johnson, Captain Arthur Phillip and Mrs. Jackson.
 So Henry and Susannah had caused a national incident with their case. so much was  written in the papers and such talk in high places all across the British Isles which  also appear to be in the House of Commons, made them the "sample couple" when the  ship sailed. Men of letters felt very strongly about them and we have probably been  believing to this time that nobody much really cared about convicts in Britain. While  the majority of English people were glad to see the hulks cleared highly intelligent  people of note took a more humane approach. This is the example that there was a lot  of sympathy for those "poor wretches". So from high society to humble turnkey  everything relied on their actions at the time.
 Mrs Jackson of Portman Square London. a "well to do" address set up a collection for  the couple and the parcel of goods was the result. she also asked Reverend Richard  Johnson to keep an eye out for their welfare. some months after arrival he ventured  to report progress of the couple.

Here is that letter:
 Port Jackson in the county of Cumberland
 New South Wales
 July 12th 1788
 Hon. Sir,
 Though I have nothing particular to mention to you, I cannot think of letting the  fleet return to England without dropping you a single line to inform you of my health  and walfare.
 It would be unneccessary for me, Sir, to give you and account of the various  circumstances or incidents respecting the fleet, during our late passage from England  to this distant part of the globe: as no doubt you will receive ample information  respecting these matters, together with a description of this country, as a climate,  natives etc etc, from his Excellency Arthur Phillip Esq., our govenor, and others. Everything here is as yet (as you may easily suppose) very unsettled, but in time our  situation will be rendered more comfortable, and even now, all things considered,  thank god! I have no reason to complain.
 You may remember Sir a circumstance which greatly interested the public a little  before our leaving England. This was respecting the Norwich gaoler and two convicts  Cable and Holmes, Which with a child, were removed from the Norwich gaol to Plymouth,  in order to be embarked on board one of the transports then bound for New south  Wales. These two persons I married soon after our arrival here. Some persons made  charitable contributions for these two persons.... collected the sum of 20 pounds and  laid this out on various articles, at the same time requesting that I would see these  delivered to them on our arrival here. Unfortunately these have not been found. This  circumstance as been brought before  the Civil Court here, when a verdict was found  in their favour against the Captain of the Alexander (Duncan sinclair...see Cable v  Sinclair on the net).. am sorry this charitable intention and action had been brought  to this disagreeable issue, the more so because the public seemed to be so interested  in their walfare, the child is still living, of a healthy constitution, but a fine  boy.
 Hope, Sir, you will excuse my freedom in directing these few lines to you. My chief  intention, as I have already mentioned, being to inform you of my health and walfare  and that I may have the honour of once more subscribing myself, Your most Obedient and Hemble Servant, 

JOHN TEALE.........
 John TEALE was born on 15 Feb 1789 in Garforth, Yorkshire, England, U.K. and was  christened on 15 Feb 1789 in St Marys C/E, Garforth, Yorkshire, England. He died on  25 Sep 1851 in , Windsor, Nsw, Australia and was buried on 28 Sep 1851 in St. Mathews  C/E, Windsor, Nsw, Australia. John married Dianna KABLE on 7 Apr 1818 in St.Matthews  C/E, Windsor, Nsw, Australia.

John arrived in Australia on the 25 April 1815 on the "INDEFATIGABLE" John Teale was born in York in 1787. He was tried in March 1813 at the Lancaster Court and sentenced to Life. Do not know what the charges were, no record on the Lancaster cort on Microfilm at the Mitchell Library. He was assigned to Henry Kable at Windsor about a year later where he met Diana. John Teale  Married Diana Gaurdy .
 John Teale and Henry Kable were provably similar in build. Teale was 6'6" tall with a  hook-nose, a dark moustache and beard, and smoked a pipe. He had the largest Flour  Mill in the colony at the time. It was called Fairy Dell Flour Mill at one time, also  Endeavour Mill. It stood in George Street opposite Dight St. A team of 48 Horses in  shifts of 16 with 50 convicts operated the Mill. He was interested in Horse racing  and one of the founders in the district. Races were held at Killarney near  Mcgrath Hill from 1832. Teale was a steward along with George Loder and John  McDonald. Teale mest have been fairly well educated as his hadwriting was very good  and his letters to the Colonial Secrectary and others show this. He was a well liked  man and a generous one.
 An interesting story that I have recently found out about, is Joseph Teale a young brother of John Teale migrated to NSW about 1837 at the age of 29 (free man). There are a number of Joe Teales, all buried at St. Matthews Windsor. Joseph Snr. died on 9 May 1891 aged 83 yrs. at Windsor Hospital. His grand neice Rose Ann Teale (always known as annie) apparently looked after him. Joseph married a Widow Isabella Brown in 1879 but Isabella died before Joseph. Above information from Joan Cox. 14 Nov. 1981.
 Also from Joan Cox.
                           JOHN TEALE
                       AN EXTRAORDINARY CONVICT.
 Early in 1982 I called at the 1788-1820 Association rooms in Assembly House, Sydney, to make enquiries about some members of William Cox's roadbuilding team on  the Blue Mountains route in 1814-1815. The Association assistant that day was most  interested in my research into the Kable/Teale family history. Surprisingly, the association had recently received a letter from a Christine Teale, a member of the Teale family in Yorkshire England. Christine had migrated to Australia some 15 years before with her husbank and young son. After living in Sydney then Melbourne the family moved to the warmer climate of  Darwin! Since then Christin's household had expanded. Her young daughter brought home a little school library book entitled "Australia Day" which mentioned the work and role of the 1788-1820 group. Hence Christine's letter to the  association and contacts with another Teale researcher, Val Tuckwell and myself. So  began an amazing trialogue on the Teale family history betweenChristine, Val and I. One day during the march 1813 Court Session at Lancaster, England a young man, a  butcher by trade, about 24 years old, stood in the dock waiting to be sentenced. It is not known exactly what crime he committed, probably robbery or  burglary. John Teale, a native of Yorkshire, was given a Life Sentence. Most Likely  Teale was born in the family farmhouse at Garforth, near Leeds, Late in 1788. He  was the first child of Thomas Teale and Ann Burton. The countryside around where the  Teale family built their homes 100 or 200 years ago and still standing has historic  importance. Dick Turpin actually rode his horse through Teale properties on his  ride to York.. Cromwell's men fought and won a battle there at one time. Young Teale spent two miserable years languishing in H.M. Prison before boarding the Transport ship the "Indefatigable" bound for Port Jackson. The "Indefatigable" under the control of Mast. Bowles reached its destination, Sydney Cove, on the 26th April 1815. Shortly after his arrival, John Teale was  assigned to Mr. Henry Kable of Windsor. a Macquarie town situated 40 miles North-West  of Sydney. John Teale's physical characteristics may be gained from the following  records;
 AO (NSW) 4/4995, Indent of convict ship Indefatigable (2nd Voyage) arr Sydney 25 April 1815;

John Teale tried Lancaster Assizes 5 March 1814 sentence Life. Born York
 calling Laoburer
 age 23
 Height 5'5 1/2"
 complexion ruddy
 hair Light Brown
 eyes Hazel            ticket of leave 1799
 AO (NSW) 4/4430 Register of conditional pardons.
 John Teale, Indefatigable (2) 1815
 Native of Yorkshire
 calling Labourer
 Tried Lancaster March 1814
 sentence Life
 Height 5'4 3/4"
 complexion fair ruddy
 hair brown
 eyes hazel
 conditional pardon dated 12 September 1821.
 While serving under Henry Kable, Teale met Henry's daughter and her husband, William Littleton Gaudry. W.L. Gaudry a will educated man of upper class background, died suddenly on 3.1.1816 aged 34 years, leaving a bereft widow, three little children  William 5 1/2, Charles 4, Emiline 2, and a baby on the way. Baby George arrived three weeks after his father's death. As government assistance was practically non existant in those times it was customary to marry again if the opportunity arose.
 Diana, always called "Dinah" by her relatives and friends along with her brothers and sisters were educated to the highest standards of their day. Dinah's first marriage to Gaudry at St. Phillips Church Sydney, was the social event  of the year. It seems strange  that a gentlewoman should consider marriage to a  convict though her father had been one. Anyway, Dinah married John Teale at St. Matthews Church of England Windsor on 7.4.1818, the witnesses were Wm. Christie,  Martha Thompson and Joseph Bannister. Teale became an instant step-father to the  Gaudry Children. Emiline Ann Susannah Gaudry, the daughter, later went to live with  her Aunt, Susannah Mileham, after her husband, Dr. James Mileham died in 1824.  Susannah, who had no children of her own, was fortunate that she received a handsome  annuity of 100 pounds a year.
 Not long after his Marriage, John Teale sent a Petition to Governor Macquarie. The following can be viewed on Reel 1229-1819-1820 Petions at the State Archives of N.S.W. Sydney.
                                                To His Excellency                                                Governor Macquarie                            The Humble Petition of
                               JOHN TEALE
 Respectfully sheweth,
                     That petitioner arrived in the Colony in the Transport ship  Indefatigable in the year 1815 under sentence of  ?  
 for life having been tried at Lancaster in the year 1813.
                     That having sometime since married the eldest daughter of Mr. Henry Kable and having a family he is anxious for their sake to obtain the right  of Emanicipation. He therefore humbly 
 hopes that your excellency will pardon his presumption and be graciously pleased to  grant this favour he begs to solicit.
                                  And Petitioner
                                           will ever pray
                                               JOHN TEALE
 We beg leave to recommend Petitioner to your Excellency the Governor's Notice.                                              Wm. Cox J.P.
                                              J. Mileham J.P. An official note on the side - I certify to his Excellency the Governor the petitioner was promised at the Muster to have something done for him so that he  should apply afterwards for land, he having married a daughter of Mr. Henry Kable. Following the above petition, Teale sent a Memerial to the Governor, see same

Reel 1229 as above.
                                           To His Excellency
                                           Governor Macquarie                          The Humble Memorial of
                             JOHN TEALE
 Respectfully sheweth,
                     The petitioner came to the Colony in the transport ship Indefatigable in the year 1815
                     That petitioner on his arrival was assigned to Mr. Henry Kable of Windsor in whose service he remained until the present period and during the above period his conduct has been such, as to merit the approbation of his  said Master.
                    That petitioner is a man of Industrious and honest habits, and has been lately married to the Widow Gaudry. He therefore most humbly presumes to solicit your Excellency to be graciously pleased to grant him such  mitigation of sentence as to Your Excellency 
 sees merit.
                                      And Petitioner
                                      will ever pray
                                      JOHN TEALE
 On the side, official remarks:-
 I certify to His Excellency the Governor that Memoralist is the person who married the Widow Gaudry and was directed by your Excellency to attend His reason for the mitigation of sentences.
 Robert Cartwright.                           Wm. Cox J.P.
 One will notice the references I have made to the State Archives of N.S.W. The  Archives is the Government Repository for Records created by Government departments and statutory bodies retained because of their legal, historical or  research value. Records span from 1788 to the present day but there is a Thirty-year restriction on the use of most archives.
 Another interesting Memorial to the Colonial Sectetary from John Teale - see Reel 4/1845 year 1826, from the Archives is the following:
                                                      1st February 1826                            Colonial Secretary
 I most implicity solicit you will have the goodness at and early opportunity to let  me have the necessary certificates of these men * haveing Mastered in my service - as  I intend makeing application for the indulgence allow'd in such cases agreeable to  Government and General Orded on that Head. I am
                                         Sin, with due respect your most                                         Obedient and Humble Servant                                         JOHN TEALE resident near                                         Windsor care of Mr. Wright                                         George Street, Sydney. To Alex---der McLeay Esq.
 Colonial Secretary
 *Matthew Carroll  -  Recovery 2 1824/5
 *John Maynard     -  Hindostan  1824/5
 After their marriage, Dinah and John settled down at Pitt Town, a Macquarie town on the Hawskbury River.
 Eventually Dinah and Teale were blessed with five children of their own; John Henry 1819, Caroline 1821, Diana Blanche 1823, Joseph Thomas 1825, and Henry William 1829. There's no doubt Teale thought about his family "at Home" constantly. We now know that John and Dinah wrote letters to his homeland, over the  years, telling his folk about life in Australia. Christine mentions so many true  happenings and events in the Teale families' lives here: some more than a century  and a half ago. Letters were eagerly awaited, read and re-read by all and retold  through the years.
 The fertile river flats along the hawkesbury were excellent for growing grains and  crops. Just a few years after the first farms began in 1794, the area produced 20,000  bushells of wheat. As the farmers had only the simplest of tools, it was creditable  result. Soon the Howkesbury was generally referred to as the Grannary of N.S.W.  Naturally as the production of wheat and maize increased, it became necessary to  establish larger pablic mills to grind the grain for flour, John Teale, now the  Miller, operated the Fairy Dell Flour Mill for some years along with members of his  family. This Mill was not the first public Mill but it became the largest Mill in the  Colony. Henry Kable established the Mill; it was known by various names such as the  Endeavour Mill,Kables, Teales, Fairy Dell ect. The convict-built stone mill stood in  GeorgeStreet, Windsor, near Dight Street. as early as 1830 and the remains of the mill were still there in 1912. Teale's Flour Mill was worked by 48 horses in shifts of 16 with the aid of 50 convicts. This mill led to the establishment of a  Bakery to supply bread for the local people and government tenders. To-day the new  modern Windsor Council Chambers and Livrary stand on the former mill site. Teal's Flour Mill passed on to the eldest son, John Henry Teale. Unfortunately the  younger Teale lost the Mill when he bacame indebted to Mr. Liddle of Liddell. James  Liddell Flour Mill oppeared on the old brick mill after the Teals left. Back to the Archives; during one search I came across an Index to Registers of  Letters, on Reel 2567 dating from January 1835 to December 1836. Therein are a number  of letters from John Teale with others on various matters of a local government  nature. One letter to the Police Magistrate refers to a Contract -as follows:-          "In consequence of the great advances constituting the supplies required for  the Surveying Parties & also Forage for the Raod Parties we beg to give Notice that  we decline (our tender) to supply the same, in the Districts of Windsor and the Blue  Mountains at the expiry of three months from the 30th Inst. agreeable to the tearms  expressed in our contract.
                                     We are Sin,
                                     Your most obedient and
                                     Humble Servants
                                     JOHN TEALE  MARY LODER" Another contract was jointly signed by John Teale and Henry Dargin. From letters like  the above on gathers that Telae had a knowledge of business and some education.
 Teale took a great interest in horses and horse-racing. Of course, horse races were  held in the Hawkesbury area from the early days but it flourished between 1830 and  1890, (see Macquarie Country by  D.G.Bowd.) The region has always been known for  their well-bred and excellent horses, both heavy breeds and racing thoroughbreads.  The Killarney Races on Windsor Course, located at Magraths Hill, is two or three  miles from Windsor. John McDonald, George Loder and John Teale were stewards while  Teal's brother-in-law William Fitz was Clerk of the Course.Sometime around 1837, the  youngest brother of John Teale, Joseph arrived in this country to settle. He was 29  or 30 at the time. a bachelor. Discovered this information when I came across the  death certificate of two Joseph Teales;one was the brother and the other the son of  John and Dinah.
 The Teale brothers sent an unusual present home to England but read this extract form Christin"s letter. "When I was small, one of my favourite aunts was my Great-Aunt Bibby. Whenever I visited her house, I used to stare in wonder at the colourful stuffed parrot that took pride of place in her living-room. He had been placed standing on a branch inside a glass case and looked solife-like that I longed for him to get out and fly around. Everyone know him by the name of Jo-ey and ny Great-Aunt always spoke of him with great  affection. Jo-ey was either brought back or sent from Australia by one of my  relatives as a gift to the family even before my Great-Aunt Bibby was born. He was  brought over as a live bird and I think he was probably a Rosella parrot. His colouring was exquisite. She told me then, back in 1942, that Jo-ey had lived over 100 years. He must, therefore have been either sent or brought over to  England in about 1840." Another paragraph in a letter reads " As many of my Great- Aunt's possessions were handed down to me, I was delighted to receive Jo-ey and he  stood in my room at our home in Batley, Yorkshire, until my parents sold the house  and moved down to Devon. At the time they decided that the best place for Jo-ey would  be the local museum, so they donated him to the excellent museum which is  set in a beautiful park and situated about a mile from where we lived" It is known that the Teals were involved in Tin-mining in Cornwall, England, but somehow the company folded up. Several Teale descendants mention this, also  Christine. The family also had propert in Leith, Scotland. where either or both of  Christine's Great-Aunts, Bibby (Emma Elizabeth) and Martha were born in 1862 and  1869. Their brother, Christin's grandfather Frederick was born on 18.12.1873 in  Yorkshire. Great grandfather Frederick Teale was born approx. 1835 and Great-great  grandfather Jeremiah Teale was born in 1803 in Yorkshire.
 John Teale, Jeremiah Teale and Joseph Teale who came out ot Australia to join John were brothers (There were other brothers and sisters in the family) Earlier I mentioned that I thought it strange that a gentle-woman like Diana should marry a convict. But when I studied his life story, I realised that Teale was worthy of Donah's love. He obviously came from a good family where social graces and gentlymanly behaviour were observed. An extract from Christine "J.C. woud be correct in her assumption that John was from a middle-class family. My great-aunts themselves were perfect examjples of ladies of  good breeding from their elegant style of dressing to their peaceful and dignified  way of life.
 All of Dinah's sons, Gaudry and Teale grew up to become tall, strong "Cornstalks". Historians and old-timers always remarked that the young men and women  from the Hawkesbury region were of splendid and robust physique. "Old Chum" writing  in his weekly page on Oly Sydney mor than 70-80 years, referred to the Kables, the  Gaudrys and the Teals of the mid-thirties (1830's) as good sports! Indeed, they were  good at all types of sport, especially boxing.
 Dinah's brother Jack Kable, was Australia's heavyweight champion for years; George Gaudry was outstanding in this field as well as Joe Teale, the son of John and Dinah. Henry Teale, the youngest, was very good at boxing, but probably gave the game away after his marriage. On one accasion, Joe and Henry were  drawn to meet each other in a contest; the brothers shook hands and forfeited the  match instead.
 John Henry Teale, eldest Teale son, was a big man, 6'6" tall, He married Charlotte Mary McDonald Sommers, at St. Mathews, Windsor in 1840. There were 10  children of the marriage 1 boy and 9 girls. Charlotte's sister, Frances Sommers had  married Charles S.J.W. Gaudry in 1835.
 John Henry Teale a farmer for most of his life, resided on his property, Newtown, in the Windsor district. He owned a large tract of land in the Riverstone-South Creek area, but this was probably not the obove property. His  appearance was descrived by an elderly shopkeeper in outer Granville in 1920 as "very  tall, with a hook nose, dark moustache and pointed beard". At the time of the  opening of the Railway to Windsor. Teale provided a barbeque for the public on the  banks of South Creek near Windsor bridge. He died in 1891 and is buried at St.  Matthews Cemetery Windsor.
 Caroline Elizabeth never married. She died in 1854, just a few months after her  mother. Dinah Teale. Diana Blanche, also a spinster, died aged 20 yrs. in 1834. Both daughters were buried in the Kable vault at Windsor.
 Joseph Thomas Teale, the second Teale son, suffered some tragic and unfortunate  incidents in his lifetime. He never married though he asked his lady love several  times to marry him. Joe travelled around the country a good deal; even possibly  visiting England but always came back to his hometown. Susan Baldwin had a daughter  by Joe, named Josephia who was born on 7.10.1853. There are descendants of Josephia  living to-day. Poor Susan died on 22.6.1856 aged 29 years. Maybe Susan was  the love of Joe's life but I have no confirmation on that. Joe Teale, a good  horseman, was engaged as a Drover on moving cattle from one area to another. Later he  became a Gold Miner. he died at the Rookwood Asylum 0n 16.5.1901; was laid to  rest at St. Matthews Cemetery Windsor.
 The youngest son, Henry William Teale, married Anne Winton at Pitt Town Presbyterian Church in 1852. Their 12 children were all born on the Teale property at Wilverforce. A number of Henry and Anne's children became teachers, later  progressing to the top in the Education Department. Henry spent long periods away  droving, taking at one time the first herd of cattle from New England to Adelaide.  Henry was also present at the Eureka Stockade. H.W. Teale died at Wilberforce in 1912  aged 83 yrs. Anne predeceased him.
 Joseph, brother John Teale, was a farmer during his 54 years in N.S.W. He married a widow, Isabella Brown, when he was 71. Joseph became a surragate grandfather to John's grandchildren. His death certificate informs us he died at Windsor Hospital in May 1891 aged 83yrs. the informant was his grand-niece, Anne  Teale of Wilberforce, eldest of Anne Teale's children and Henry's stepdaughter. Christine Teale's brother Jace, presently living in the U.S.A. says that one of the  Teale ancestors married an American Indian woman. John Teale came to this country  with little but left it as a well respected citizen. he died in 1851. Diana Teale, on of the besknown and esteemed inhabitants of the early days, followed John in 1854. Both are resting in the Kable vault at St. Matthews Windsor. N.S.W.
 John's Will is in the file.ancestry has him as being b. Bourton gloucestshire same  date as me

Thomas TEALE was born in Garforth, Yorkshire, England, U.K.. He died in 1787  in Garforth, Yorkshire, England, U.K.. Thomas married Ann BURTON on 25 Jun 1787 in  Bramham Yorkshire England.

Origin and Meaning of the Teale Name.
 From Joan Davies New Zealand.
 Many modern surnames are identical with the names of birds and animals. In some cases  e.g. Stork, Rooke, it can be proved that the origin is in fact ageographical  location, but indisputably a number of surnames develop as nicknames and Teal along  with its variants would seem to be such a name. The Teal is still a common wild fowl  and from documentary evidence we know that the bird was more widely distributed in  the Middle Ages before so many of its natural havitats were destroyed. The main  problem is to decide whether or not one family or a number of families inherited the  name.Whatever the answer to this question, there is no doubt that the bulk of people  who now have Teal as a surname share a common ancestor. Even in 1976 the name is  concentrated in the West Riding and its history over 600 years shows that its  original home was in the comparatively restricted area of Airedale and Warfedale. It  must however be pointed out that whereas its earliest appearance in Yorkshir was in  the 14th Century ( on evidence available) there were references to the surname in  other parts of the country long before that;If we refer to the Pipe Rolls for example  the outstanding references are;
 1201 Ralph Tele (Notts and Derby)
 1230 Ralph Telle (Cambridge)
 1275 Robert Tele (Worcestershire)
 1327 German Le Tele (Essex)
 From the Pipe Roll evidence it seems likely that some people with this surname were  comparatively well off. As families of theis rank moved about freely in the late 13th  century, there is no reason why the Yorkshire Teals should not be their descendants.  Moreover, the earliest Yorkshire references indicate that the family in the early  years was of some standing. However, as yet I know of no evidence which links the  various early references. Nor do I know of any evidence that the surnames in the Pipe  Roll were hereditary into the modern period.
 Teal in Yorkshire in the pre-parish register period.
   In 1343 there is mention in the Bradford Court Rolls of a William Tiele and as late as 1411 a William Tele was a member of the manorial jury. A year later a  Cecilia Tele, described as the wife of the late William, was living in a 'ruinous  house in Manningham' and was laying claim to her dead husbans's land.curiously there  was no reference to the name in Bradford in the very full taxof 1379. It is tempting,  therefore, to associate this man with a William Tele living at Glusburn. 1351 "know present, that I William Tele of Gloseburn have granted, given and by this  heirs, a messuage with a croft, lying between the messuage of William  Nevell.......wich Adam my father purchased from Robert de Esteburn." In the Poll Tax a generation later this man or his descendant was still living in  Kildwick parish.
 1379 William Tele and wife (Clusburn) 4 pence.
 The only other reference to the name throughout the West Riding and York was 1379 Henry Tele (a miller or milner) (Appletreewick) 4 pence. We cannot be certain of a relationship between these two but it seems probable. Soon afterwards the surname was found in York - most family names migrated there during this period of the city's affluence.
 1455 William Teele, merchant. (Register of Freemen)
 1463 William Tele,  merchant. (Guild of Corpus Christi)
 1468 Richard Teele, merchant. (Register of Freemen)
 1471 William Tele,  merchant. (Will)
 I also find the name once in Hornsea in the East Riding.
 1517 Thomas Teyll, Husbandman. (Will) Hornsea.

From 1540 to 1700
 This is a well-documented period of relative stability as far as the size and distribution of the population is concerned. There is evidence of continuity in York  and the East Riding.
 1538 Arthur Teyll, fisherman (Register of Freemen) York
 1558 Robert Teyle, (Will) Hornsea.
 1621 Anthony Teyll (Will) York.
 It is tempting to link this last man to a namesake, Anthony Teale, who witnessed a Knaresbrough deed in 1560 and a Rimington (Bowland) deed in 1563. 1624 John Teall - Land and property in Davygate, York.
 The surname also appeared after 1540 in a variety of places where it had not previously been recorded, e.g. 1568-91, Redcar, N.R.; 1580-1614 Hull; 1639 Fishlake; 1648 Stamford Bridge. However, as the surname survived independently in the areas of Airedale and Warfedale where it had first been recorded, these are likley to be migrating branches of the family and not directly relevant to the main history of Teal.
 At the time of the musters in the 1530's Teal was also established at Bardsey and probably linked with the Leeds family, e.g.
 1539 Thomas Teylle of Bardsey (Muster)
 1558 Thomas Teile of Bardsey, Blacksmith, son of Willian (Will) 1588 William Teale of East Keswich (Hearth Tax)
 1688 Thomas Teale of Leeds, blacksmith at Pasture Bridge (Leeds Manor Book) Teal in Kildwich parish.
   We find the surname in the parish records from the earliest years of their survival 1576 Nicholas Teale had a daughter baptised.
 1577 Henry Teale had a daughter baptised.
 1583 Peter Teale had a son baptised.
 1594 William Teale had a son baptised.
 These are examples only. Clearly the surname was ramifying in the parish and it is  interesting to note the use of names such as Anthony (born 1590). Continuity can be  established in the parish for many generations and in the 18th century we find the  exact location of individual branches gived, e.g.
 1756 John, son of Robert Teal of Steeton, baptised.
 1784 robert, son of John Teal of Farnhill, weaver, baptised. 1788 William, son of John Teal of Cowling, weaver, baptised. One family which appeared consistently in the 19th century documents was baxed at  Cononley e.g.
 1838 George Teale, farmer (Trade Directory)
 1857 William Teale, farmer (Post office directory)  Cononley 1871 Peter Teal and William Teal (landowners list.)
 On this occasion William's gross annual rent was 269 pounds from 148 acres, whilst Peter had 99 pounds from 59 acres. their home seems to have been at Garth  House.
 As the list of landowners from 1871 covers the West Riding it is interesting to see  both the stabilisation in spelling and the total distribution of the landowning branches of the family. There were Teals at Timble (2), Leeds (2), Follifoot (2), Keighley, Yeadon (2), Sykehouse, Woodhouse (?) and Ossett (and Cononley); Teales at Bramhope, Ridding? and Wakefield; Teall at Wakefield. Teal in Warfedale.
    There is abundant evidence to show that the family has been well established in  Lower Warfedale of centuries, e.g.
 1536 Bylles, able person, havyng no harness:
      John Tele Senior)   Farnley (Otley parish) Muster roll.      John Tele Junior)
 (Absent at this date from Spofforth, Wetherby, Kearby, Plonpton ect.) 1538 Christopher Teale of Burley in Warfedale, witness to the will of Ralph Peile. 1539 Christopher Terlle (sic) of Burley, a salett (light helmet)      John Teyll of Ilkley, a horse.  (Both Skyrack Muster)
 1545 John Teale, senior      of Ilkey taxed 3 pence and 2 pence in subsidy roll      John Teale, Junior

1546 William Teill of Farnley (will)
 1558 Thomas Teyle of East Keswick mentioned in will of Christopher Wyle. 1560 Anthony Teale, witness to a deed. (Knaresborough area)
 1561 John Teale of Farnley (Will) see above 1536-45
 1563 John Tele of Leathley (Will)
 1580 Christopher Teale of Otley (Will) see above 1538-9
 1583 John Teale of Ilkley (Will) see above 1536-45
 1588 William Teale of Keswicke (sic) i.e. Harewood parish. (Will) see 1558 above.
 1596 Nicholas Teile of Farnley (Will)
 1605 George Teale of Ilkley (Will)
 1607 Percival Teale of Leathely (Will)
 1627 Thomas Teale of Ilkley, taxed in subsidy roll
 (Ilkley and Otley parish registers survived and are available from 1597 and 1562 respectively)
 The Hearth Tax of 1672 locates the family at Ilkley and also at East Kenswick see above 1558 and 1588.
 1672 William and Matthew Teale.
 1681 william Teayle of East Keswick, yeoman.
 1695 Henry Teale of Lindley. Rental of Otley manor.

LOADING! Please wait ...

LOADING! Please wait ...
SiteMap|Visitors: 1318|TribalPages Forum